Versiti Blood Centers Issues Urgent Plea to COVID Survivors to Donate COVID Convalescent Plasma (CCP)
CCP supplies quickly dwindle as COVID cases soar to new levels
Milwaukee – Nov. 11, 2020 – Versiti Blood Centers today issued an urgent plea to those who have previously been infected with COVID-19 to “pay it forward” by donating COVID convalescent plasma (CCP). With COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations soaring to new levels, the organization is struggling to keep up with hospital needs. The need for COVID convalescent plasma at hospitals served by Versiti has doubled in the last four weeks and is expected to continue to increase very rapidly as COVID-19 cases continue to surge.
“We are facing a critical need,” said Dr. Dan Waxman, vice president of transfusion medicine and senior medical officer at Versiti. “Without intervention from the community, we face the very real possibility that we won’t be able to fill orders for patients in hospitals we serve. This important therapy cannot be manufactured. It comes from generous volunteer donors in our communities who have recovered from COVID and now are able to help hospitalized patients in those very same communities.”
Versiti has reached unprecedented levels of demand for COVID convalescent plasma. In recent days, COVID convalescent plasma has been shipping out to local hospitals three times faster than it is coming in. To date, the organization has been able to meet the needs of hospitals with the assistance of other blood centers. However, with COVID cases rising across the country, Versiti is fearful that those backup resources might soon not be available.
“Currently inventory levels of COVID convalescent plasma are an enormous concern; our inventory levels have dwindled from four weeks to four days,” said Dr. Waxman. “We’re pleading with the community – if you’ve been diagnosed with COVID and have been symptom free for 14 days, please consider giving an hour of your time to help others who are facing an uphill climb in battling the virus.”
Individuals who have previously donated COVID convalescent plasma are asked to call 877-BE-A-HERO to make another appointment. CCP donors are generally eligible to donate up to 12 times.
Those who are interested in donating COVID convalescent plasma for the first time are asked to visit versiti.org/covid19plasma.
About Versiti Blood Center of Wisconsin
Versiti Blood Center of Wisconsin is a not-for-profit organization headquartered in Milwaukee that specializes in blood services, esoteric diagnostic testing, organ, tissue and stem cell donation, medical services and leading-edge research. We advance patient care by delivering life-saving products and services. For more information, visit versiti.org/Wisconsin.
- Mayo Clinic Puts Hospital Beds in Garage, Lobbies as COVID-19 Surges - Rich Kremer - Nov 23rd, 2020
- The State of Politics: State Officials Can’t Agree on Pandemic - Steven Walters - Nov 23rd, 2020
- WILL Files Original Action in WI Supreme Court to Halt Latest Dane County Gathering Ban, Restrictions on Businesses - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces Wisconsin has Shipped One Millionth N95 Mask through State Distribution System - Gov. Tony Evers - Nov 23rd, 2020
- WI Daily: 3,507 New Cases, 0 Deaths Reported Sunday - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 22nd, 2020
- Rising Cases, Stress at One Hospital - Bram Sable-Smith - Nov 22nd, 2020
- State High Court to Review School Shutdown - Ruth Conniff - Nov 22nd, 2020
- WI Daily: 3,005 Wisconsin Residents Have Died As a Result of COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 21st, 2020
- State Officials Warn of Vaccine Trial Scams - Henry Redman - Nov 21st, 2020
- WI Daily: 6,473 New COVID-19 Cases, 78 Deaths - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 20th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Versiti Blood Center of Wisconsin
Virtual panel discussions with special guests to follow the three films
Versiti Increases Access to Life-Saving Plasma for Milwaukee Communities at Greatest Risk with Support from Greater Milwaukee FoundationOct 21st, 2020 by Versiti Blood Center of Wisconsin
Foundation provides $100,000 grant aligned with COVID-19 relief and recovery priorities