UWM SDS deliver demands to get cops off campus 12/5
Students for a Democratic Society at UW-Milwaukee to deliver demands to get cops off campus and redirect resources to programs and services that support social well-being and community health.
[Milwaukee, WI] – On December 5th at 3:00 PM, Students for a Democratic Society at UW-Milwaukee will deliver the following demands to Chancellor Mone:
- Immediately cancel all contracts with the Milwaukee Police Department, the Milwaukee County Sheriff, and the UWM campus police for supplemental law enforcement support at sporting events, concerts, ceremonies, or other large-scale events hosted by the campus community or at University facilities.
- Immediately bar any joint patrol programs on University-owned and affiliated properties.
- End the agreement between the University of Wisconsin System and the Police Training Institute, and return the funding from the Department of Justice or reallocate the purpose of the funds toward transformative justice models that do not involve the police by May of 2021.
- Disarm, defund, and disband the UWMPD and entrust the safety of the University campus community to unarmed mediation and intervention teams with third-party oversight by May of 2021.
- Begin transferring the majority of “services” and related resources and funding currently organized under the UWMPD into other existing departments or create new structures supporting social well-being and community health, such as mental health and health services and ethnic studies programs by May of 2021
Due to rising Covid-19 cases, this event will be live streamed. You can join by visiting the Students for a Democratic Society Facebook page Saturday, 12/5, at 3:00 PM.
Students for a Democratic Society is a national, multi-issue progressive organization of student activists who fight for change on campus. It was refounded in 2006 in the wake of the anti war demonstrations against the US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The goal is to build a student movement that mobilizes students against crimes against the people committed here at home and on other peoples abroad.