UW System returns to pre-pandemic levels of in-person instruction for Fall 2021
MADISON, Wis.—University of Wisconsin System President Tommy Thompson announced today that the System has returned to pre-pandemic levels of in-person undergraduate instruction for Fall 2021 while prioritizing the health and safety of the campus community.
Thompson also announced that several universities far exceeded the 75 percent threshold, and that 12 of the System’s 13 universities hit the threshold.
“Every student I talk to wants to be back in class, and that’s where they belong,” Thompson said. “There is so much enthusiasm on the campuses I’ve visited this fall. I thank the staff, faculty, and administrators for making that happen and meeting this goal while also prioritizing student and employee health and safety.”
The percentage of undergraduate classes held in person in Fall 2021 according to university:
- UW-Eau Claire, 87 percent
- UW-Green Bay, 78 percent
- UW-La Crosse, 94 percent
- UW-Madison, 93 percent
- UW-Milwaukee, 79 percent
- UW Oshkosh, 82 percent
- UW-Parkside, 79 percent
- UW-Platteville, 93 percent
- UW-River Falls, 83 percent
- UW-Stevens Point, 82 percent
- UW-Stout, 75 percent
- UW-Superior, 65 percent
- UW-Whitewater, 83 percent
A large portion of UW-Superior courses were online by design prior to the pandemic and remain so in Fall 2021. Every UW-Superior course that went remote in Fall 2020 has been returned to fully in-person for Fall 2021.
Universities routinely provide fully online course offerings in addition to in-person courses. A university’s exact percentage of in-person courses corresponds to its programs, missions, and goals.
Of the 85 percent of undergraduate classes held in person, 80 percent are being delivered fully in person and five percent are hybrids having a substantial and required face-to-face component with some portion online.
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Oct 15th, 2021
- MATC to Host Public COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus Oct. 18 - Milwaukee Area Technical College - Oct 15th, 2021
- City Hall: MPD Supervisors Face Vaccine-or-Mask Requirement - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 14th, 2021
- Hospitals Expect to Lose Staff Over Vaccine Mandates - Shamane Mills - Oct 14th, 2021
- Rural Areas Have Highest COVID-19 Death Rates - Shamane Mills - Oct 13th, 2021
- DHS Announces Multiple Funding Opportunities to Address COVID-19 Health Disparities - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Oct 13th, 2021
- City and Police Supervisors Reach Agreement on COVID Vaccinations - City of Milwaukee - Oct 13th, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 Disease Remains At High Level - Graham Kilmer - Oct 12th, 2021
- New COVID-19 Mass Testing Site Opens in Menomonee Valley - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 11th, 2021
- Class Action Lawsuit Targets Schools For Lax COVID-19 Policies - Corri Hess - Oct 10th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Recent Press Releases by University of Wisconsin System
Inaugural awards honor staff in Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Kenosha for work to support UW System mission