UW System President Thompson, Wisconsin comedian Berens urge continued use of free testing sites
MADISON, Wis.—University of Wisconsin System President Tommy Thompson and Wisconsin comedian Charlie Berens of The Manitowoc Minute are urging state residents to obtain a free COVID-19 test at one of the state’s rapid-results “surge testing” sites.
Thompson challenged Berens to a smash-off in his latest “Smash COVID” video aimed at reminding UW System students and others to get tested and to continue behaviors that prevent the spread of the disease, including wearing a mask, social distancing, and washing hands.
“We all want to smash COVID, and I’m happy to join President Thompson in bringing attention to these free tests,” Berens said. “Keep ‘er Movin’ Wisconsin – through the COVID testing line.”
Since surge testing began in early November, more than 170,000 free tests using the Abbot BinaxNOW rapid-results antigen test have been administered at Wisconsin’s 22 surge testing sites on or near UW System campuses, identifying nearly 14,000 potential positive carriers of the virus who have been advised to isolate. The testing sites will be operable for several weeks, likely through Jan. 23, with UW-Madison closing its sites on Jan. 7.
Thompson said Wisconsin residents should consider getting tested at a surge testing site now that the holidays are over – especially if they spent more time than usual outside of their home or socializing with people who are not in their household.
Thompson and Berens filmed the latest “Smash COVID” video in downtown Waukesha and on the campus of UW-Milwaukee at Waukesha. Thompson has also served as a spokesman for the “Stop the COVID Spread! Coalition.” Berens is the founder of The Manitowoc Minute, the popular weekly video featuring a uniquely Wisconsin perspective.
View the video here:https://youtu.be/DvamjfLfGc4
View President Thompson’s other “Smash COVID” videos here:https://www.facebook.com/watch/uwsystem/2093215074148544/
Engage on Twitter @UWSystem.
- WI Daily: New COVID-19 Cases At Lowest Point Since Mid-September - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 26th, 2021
- Representative LaKeshia Myers Condemns Assembly Republican’s Political Gamesmanship with COVID-19 Legislation - State Rep. LaKeshia Myers - Jan 26th, 2021
- Senate Votes to Kill State Mask Mandate - Shawn Johnson - Jan 26th, 2021
- State Announces Next Phase of Vaccines - Graham Kilmer - Jan 26th, 2021
- Rep. Robyn Vining Statement on Passage of Amended Assembly Bill 1 - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Jan 26th, 2021
- GOP Vendetta Threatens Public Health - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Jan 26th, 2021
- Senate Passes Resolution to Rein in Governor Evers’ Mandates - State Sen. Julian Bradley - Jan 26th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Statement on Republican Delay of COVID-19 Relief - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Jan 26th, 2021
- Senate Republicans set to pass resolution making Wisconsinites less safe, less secure, and less prosperous - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Jan 26th, 2021
- DHS Announces Groups Eligible for COVID-19 Vaccine Tentatively Beginning March 1 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Jan 26th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here