U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin, Colleagues to President Trump: We Must Do More for Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands
Senators call for swift additional actions following devastating storms
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin joined Senators Maria Cantwell (D-WA), Bill Nelson (D-FL.), Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and 33 additional Senators in sending a letter to President Trump to express deep concern about the situation in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
“We write to express deep concern about the dire humanitarian situation in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. In Puerto Rico, Hurricane Maria recently knocked out the entire island’s electric grid leaving at least 3.4 million Americans with no power, decimated countless structures, and claimed the lives of at least 16 individuals. Hospitals have no running water or basic supplies, and 95% of cellphone structures are still inactive,” the Senators wrote. “As a result, we still do not have an accurate assessment of the destruction.”
“In the words of Governor Ricardo Rosselló, the people of Puerto Rico have been ‘essentially devastated.’ The United States Virgin Islands has also suffered catastrophic damage. While they slowly begin their recovery, more help is needed,” the Senators continued. “At a time when there is not a second to lose and the health and well-being of millions of Americans in the U.S. territories depend on swift action, we have identified several areas where strong and decisive leadership is needed.”
The letter calls for eight specific actions to be undertaken by the Trump administration:
- Calls on President Trump to issue a full Disaster Declaration for the entire island of Puerto Rico, which has yet to happen.
- Calls on President Trump to appoint a Special Assistant for Rebuilding, to coordinate the multi-faceted federal efforts for Puerto Rico across all departments and agencies.
- Calls on President Trump to request more funding to assist Puerto Rico’s Medicaid program.
- Calls on President Trump to utilize all federal resources to restore power, including sending Department of Energy experts; 500 utility employees; 100 fuel trucks; and 200 generators.
- Calls on President Trump to send more Department of Defense assets: construction battalions to repair power and transportation infrastructure, command and control aircraft for air traffic control; helicopters for search and rescue; and 1,500 service members to provide disaster and humanitarian assistance.
- Calls on President Trump to work with Congress to waive the local cost share requirement for FEMA public assistance disaster funding for all categories of FEMA public assistance.
- Calls on President Trump to send assets and expertise from across the federal government to restore communications, including from Department of Commerce, FCC, Coast Guard, and DOD.
- Calls on President Trump to ensure that FEMA, Coast Guard, and DOD work together effectively to restore all ports to working condition.
In addition to Senators Baldwin, Cantwell, Nelson and Schumer, the letter was also signed by Ed Markey (D-MA), Patty Murray (D-WA), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Brian Schatz (D-HI), Tom Carper (D-DE), Maggie Hassan (D-NH), Michael Bennet (D-CO), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Mazie Hirono (D-HI), Chris Van Hollen (D-MD), Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Cory Booker (D-NJ), Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV), Martin Heinrich (D-NM), Bob Menendez (D-NJ), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Chris Murphy (D-CO), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Chris Coons (D-DE), Tim Kaine (D-VA), Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Gary Peters (D-MI), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Bob Casey (D-PA), Angus King (I-ME), Ben Cardin (D-MD), Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), Al Franken (D-MN), Kamala Harris (D-CA) and Patrick Leahy (D-VT).
A copy of the letter is available here.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Statement on Senate Vote to Terminate President Trump’s Declaration of a National EmergencyMar 14th, 2019 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
"Our Constitution is very clear that Congress has the power of the purse and President Trump can’t just steal the purse and spend money on whatever he wants."
U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Introduces Reform to Protect Health Care and Social Services Workers from Workplace ViolenceMar 14th, 2019 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
Legislation creates standard requiring health care and social service employers to implement workplace violence prevention plan and protect employees from violent incidents
Senator Baldwin and Representative Pascrell Reintroduce Tax Reform to Close Tax Loophole for Millionaires and Billionaires on Wall StreetMar 13th, 2019 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
President Trump broke promise to close tax loophole. Legislation would end carried interest tax loophole for Wall Street hedge fund managers