Supervisor Taylor Reiterates Opposition of County Tax Dollars for American Family Field Renovations
MILWAUKEE – This morning, Republicans in the State Legislature unveiled a plan to raise $600 million to fund repairs and upgrades to American Family Field using state and local taxes. County Supervisor Steve F. Taylor has long opposed the use of Milwaukee County tax levy to fund long-term renovations at American Family Field. Supervisor Taylor issued the following statement:
“I heard for months about a Brewers stadium proposal which sticks it to Milwaukee County taxpayers. With today’s announcement, it became a reality. Any financial contributions should come from the State and from the Brewers. What’s even more disappointing is that I believed Republicans stood for fiscal responsibility and protecting the taxpayers. This proposal cost taxpayers and the State more than double what Governor Evers wanted to spend.
Supervisor Taylor added, “The Brewers proposed contribution is embarrassing and shows their lack of commitment to our community and its residents. This proposal is insulting to anyone with common sense and should be discarded. Time to go back to the drawing board or take it directly to the voters.”
The resolution argues that the State of Wisconsin reached a record surplus of $7.1 billion in 2023, enabling the state legislature flexibility in spending and policy measures, and suggests that any state funding for the ballpark should be provided through standalone legislation.
The resolution was unanimously adopted by the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors.
NOTE: This press release was submitted to Urban Milwaukee and was not written by an Urban Milwaukee writer. It has not been verified for its accuracy or completeness.
- Will Brewers Subsidy Include Community Benefits Deal? - Erik Gunn - Sep 19th, 2023
- Milwaukee Still Paying $1 Million Per Year For Brewers Stadium - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 19th, 2023
- Murphy’s Law: Robin Vos Sticks It To Milwaukee - Bruce Murphy - Sep 19th, 2023
- Statement on stadium financing package proposal - Milwaukee Common Council - Sep 19th, 2023
- Sen. Carpenter Says Milwaukee and Wisconsin Deserve a Better Deal - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Sep 18th, 2023
- Supervisor Taylor Reiterates Opposition of County Tax Dollars for American Family Field Renovations - Sup. Steve F. Taylor - Sep 18th, 2023
- Mayor Johnson Responds To Stadium Funding Deal - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 18th, 2023
- County Executive Crowley on Brewers Legislation - County Executive David Crowley - Sep 18th, 2023
- Republicans Unveil Brewers Funding Plan With $600 Million In State, Local Taxes - Jeramey Jannene and Sophie Bolich - Sep 18th, 2023
- Brewers Statement on Efforts to Preserve American Family Field for the Next Generation - Milwaukee Brewers - Sep 18th, 2023
Read more about Miller Park Stadium Tax here