Statement from Senator Erpenbach on The People’s Maps Commission
West Point – Today, Governor Evers announced the official application and selection process for The People’s Maps Commission, the nonpartisan redistricting commission to draw fair, impartial maps following the 2020 U.S. Census.
Wisconsin currently has extremely gerrymandered maps, which has cost Wisconsin taxpayers millions in lawsuits. Additionally, nonpartisan redistricting is widely supported, with 51 of Wisconsin’s 72 counties, representing approximately 78% of Wisconsinites, having passed resolutions or referenda supporting nonpartisan redistricting in our state. That is why The People’s Maps will directly reflect the will of the people all over Wisconsin, and put the power back in the hands of Wisconsinites, and not special interests groups, lobbyists, and politicians.
The People’s Maps Commission will be comprised of people – not politicians or lobbyists, and the Commission will use the information it gathers to prepare maps that represent Wisconsin. Details about applying, eligibility requirements, the selection process, and the responsibilities of the Commission are available on the People’s Maps Commission website: https://govstatus.egov.com/peoplesmaps
“This pandemic has shed light on what happens when the voice of many is stripped and handed to a few,” said Senator Erpenbach. “Republicans have refused to show up to work and pass legislation to provide much needed relief to our businesses and families that are struggling as a result of COVID-19. The GOP consistently ignores the will of the people because they aren’t afraid that they will be held accountable at the ballot box. Politicians should have to answer for their choices in office. It is time to move our state forward to ensure that people come before politics.”
- State Supreme Court Rejects Redistricting Rule Change - Shawn Johnson - May 14th, 2021
- Law Forward on Supreme Court Rejection of Redistricting Rulemaking Petition - Law Forward - May 14th, 2021
- Republicans Lose Lawyers Before Redistricting Starts - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 29th, 2021
- Judge Prohibits Republicans Using Private Lawyers for Redistricting - Shawn Johnson - Apr 29th, 2021
- Op Ed: How Gerrymandered Are We? - Kevin Baas - Apr 29th, 2021
- Murphy’s Laws: The New Gerrymandering Scheme - Bruce Murphy - Apr 27th, 2021
- Evers Redistricting Panel Seeks ‘Partisan Fairness’ - Shawn Johnson - Apr 17th, 2021
- Law Forward’s “Redistricting 101” Provides Much-needed Overview of Critical but Complicated Process - Law Forward - Apr 15th, 2021
- Op Ed: Wisconsin Needs Fair Maps - Ruth Conniff - Apr 1st, 2021
- Your Right to Know: Redistricting Shouldn’t Be Done In Secret - Matthew DeFour - Mar 2nd, 2021
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here