Shilling Statement on Foxconn Fiasco
"The Walker administration and legislative Republicans failed to put in place stronger safeguards to hold Foxconn accountable and protect Wisconsin taxpayers."
MADISON, WI – Once again questions are being raised about the future of Foxconn in Wisconsin as the foreign mega-corporation rolls back its plans for a high-tech manufacturing plant and misses jobs targets. Having originally promised a massive cutting-edge Gen 10.5 factory near Racine, then announcing a smaller Gen 6 facility, Foxconn will no longer focus on LCD manufacturing according to a recent report by Reuters. Despite the scaled-back plans, millions of taxpayers dollars have already been spent subsidizing this corporate project and building infrastructure that may never be utilized.
“The Walker administration and legislative Republicans failed to put in place stronger safeguards to hold Foxconn accountable and protect Wisconsin taxpayers,” said Senate Democratic Leader Jennifer Shilling (D-La Crosse). “Their negligence has put home-grown businesses at a competitive disadvantage while committing taxpayers to decades of economic costs and liabilities for a project that continues to shrink in size and scope. At some point, Republican politicians will need to wake up and realize that these massive taxpayer handouts to foreign corporations are busting our budget and preventing Wisconsin families and businesses from getting ahead. Democrats want to increase oversight and accountability to ensure that Wisconsin communities and workers are protected.”
Foxconn’s reputation for abandoning projects and failing to deliver on thousands of promised jobs has been well documented. Development plans by Foxconn in places like Pennsylvania, Indonesia, India, Vietnam and Brazil all failed to materialize or meet promised expectations.
- State Reviewing Foxconn Jobs Report - Erik Gunn - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Foxconn Hosts Smart Manufacturing Web Conference, Launches iAI Institute - Foxconn Technology Group - Jul 10th, 2020
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here