Shilling Statement on Foxconn Fiasco
"The Walker administration and legislative Republicans failed to put in place stronger safeguards to hold Foxconn accountable and protect Wisconsin taxpayers."
MADISON, WI – Once again questions are being raised about the future of Foxconn in Wisconsin as the foreign mega-corporation rolls back its plans for a high-tech manufacturing plant and misses jobs targets. Having originally promised a massive cutting-edge Gen 10.5 factory near Racine, then announcing a smaller Gen 6 facility, Foxconn will no longer focus on LCD manufacturing according to a recent report by Reuters. Despite the scaled-back plans, millions of taxpayers dollars have already been spent subsidizing this corporate project and building infrastructure that may never be utilized.
“The Walker administration and legislative Republicans failed to put in place stronger safeguards to hold Foxconn accountable and protect Wisconsin taxpayers,” said Senate Democratic Leader Jennifer Shilling (D-La Crosse). “Their negligence has put home-grown businesses at a competitive disadvantage while committing taxpayers to decades of economic costs and liabilities for a project that continues to shrink in size and scope. At some point, Republican politicians will need to wake up and realize that these massive taxpayer handouts to foreign corporations are busting our budget and preventing Wisconsin families and businesses from getting ahead. Democrats want to increase oversight and accountability to ensure that Wisconsin communities and workers are protected.”
Foxconn’s reputation for abandoning projects and failing to deliver on thousands of promised jobs has been well documented. Development plans by Foxconn in places like Pennsylvania, Indonesia, India, Vietnam and Brazil all failed to materialize or meet promised expectations.
- Murphy’s Law: How Kleefisch Failed On Foxconn - Bruce Murphy - Sep 13th, 2021
- Back in the News: Fisker Wants State Law Changed For Potential Foxconn Car Factory - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Wants a New Subsidy? - Bruce Murphy - Jul 26th, 2021
- Village Board Unanimously Votes to Blight Local Business for Foxconn - A Better Mt. Pleasant - Jul 13th, 2021
- Op Ed: EPA Overrules Pruitt-Walker Smog Increases - James Rowen - Jun 7th, 2021
- Village Paid Foxconn Project Manager Nearly $1 Million - Corri Hess - May 28th, 2021
- Op Ed: Foxconn Shows Folly of Cheesehead Revolution - Dan Shafer - May 12th, 2021
- Foxconn Deal Doesn’t Reduce Local Government Risk - Corri Hess - May 3rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The True Costs of New Foxconn Deal - Bruce Murphy - Apr 28th, 2021
- The State of Politics: All Sides Won On New Foxconn Deal - Steven Walters - Apr 26th, 2021
Read more about Foxconn Facility here