Resolution introduced in support of the American Jobs Plan
Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs has introduced a resolution that would place the City of Milwaukee on record in support of the recently introduced American Jobs Plan, and directs the Intergovernmental Relations Division to lobby for its passage. The file is co-sponsored by Alderman Russell W. Stamper, II, Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd, Alderman Khalif J. Rainey, Alderwoman Chantia Lewis and Alderman José G. Pérez.
“While the American Rescue Plan Act is helping provide much needed relief for residents, the American Jobs Plan presents an opportunity to rebuild our transportation infrastructure, eliminate lead pipes and services lines, provide support for schools, and create high-quality jobs, among other items,” said Alderwoman Coggs. “I believe the City should be in support of this progressive plan that can increase the quality of life for many and provide a boost to our economy.”
The American Jobs Plan details several key areas of investment including:
- Fixing highways, rebuilding bridges, upgrading ports, airports and transit systems
- Delivering clean drinking water, a renewed electric grid, and high-speed broadband to all Americans
- Build, preserve, and retrofit more than two million homes and commercial buildings, modernize our nation’s schools and child care facilities, and upgrade veterans’ hospitals and federal buildings
- Solidify the infrastructure of our care economy by creating jobs and raising wages and benefits for essential home care workers
- Revitalize manufacturing, secure U.S. supply chains, invest in R&D, and train Americans for the jobs of the future
- Create good-quality jobs that pay prevailing wages in safe and healthy workplaces while ensuring workers have a free and fair choice to organize, join a union, and bargain collectively with their employers
The resolution will be before the Common Council for consideration at an upcoming committee meeting.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Milele Coggs
Would require any development or business downtown requesting City assistance to invest in surrounding area