Representative Lisa Subeck Supports Vote by Mail Legislation
Vote by Mail Will Protect Our Health and Our Democracy
MADISON – Today, Rep. Lisa Subeck (D-Madison) co-sponsored legislation to create a Vote by Mail system for the remainder of Wisconsin’s 2020 elections. Mail voting has become increasingly popular throughout the country, and five states currently maximize ballot access by mailing ballots to every voter. Wisconsin’s “Pandemic Primary” on April 7 unnecessarily put public health and people’s lives at risk while leaving tens of thousands of voters disenfranchised. Vote by Mail legislation would allow Wisconsinites to exercise their right to vote while adhering to the Safer at Home order.
Voting by Mail elections are quickly becoming a national conversation during the COVID-19 public health crisis. Several voting rights groups are pushing for a major expansion of mail balloting, and U.S. Senator Ron Wyden, D-Oregon, is partnering with Senator Amy Klobuchar, D-Minnesota, on a bill to require every state to provide the option of a mail ballot in the November election.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has created a large degree of uncertainty, and we must act to protect the health of our communities while preserving our democracy. Moving to a Vote by Mail system for the rest of the year would ensure our state and local officials can plan and execute a safe and secure election.
No one should have to choose between exercising their right to vote and protecting themselves and our communities from the spread of COVID-19. With the health and safety of our communities and the fundamental right to vote all on the line, we can and must move quickly to ensure what happened on Tuesday does not happen again.
It is our job to guarantee free and fair elections, and that means ensuring we do not require our citizens to put their health and lives on the line to vote when such risk can be prevented. That is why I am hopeful we will find the bi-partisan support needed to pass this Vote by Mail legislation quickly.”
- WI Daily: 206 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 6th, 2021
- Surprising No One, Senator Johnson Votes Against Relief for Wisconsin Workers and Families - Opportunity Wisconsin - Mar 6th, 2021
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Votes to Pass the American Rescue Plan and Support Wisconsin - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 6th, 2021
- WI Daily: 350 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 5th, 2021
- DHS and Laboratory Partners Identify Variant Strain B.1.351 of SARS-CoV-2 in Wisconsin - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 5th, 2021
- Many South Side Seniors Now Eligible for Vaccination at Kosciuszko Community Center - Sup. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Mar 5th, 2021
- State Vaccine Hotline Up and Running - Graham Kilmer - Mar 5th, 2021
- County Targeting Vulnerable ZIP Codes for Vaccine - Graham Kilmer - Mar 5th, 2021
- Ron Johnson Pushes Conspiracies Ahead of Possible Third Term - Shawn Johnson - Mar 5th, 2021
- Gov. Evers, DHS Announce 1 Million Wisconsinites Have Received at Least One Dose of the COVID-19 Vaccine - Gov. Tony Evers - Mar 5th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Lisa Subeck
Democrats are ready to put people first on Wisconsin’s road to recovery