Representative LaKeshia Myers Rebukes Assembly Speaker’s Call for Election Investigation
MADISON – Representative LaKeshia Myers (D-Milwaukee) sharply criticized Assembly Speaker Robin Vos’ directive to the Assembly Committee on Campaigns and Elections to use their subpoena power to investigate alleged election impropriety in Milwaukee County.
Myers stated, “I am dismayed at the statement given by Rep. Vos earlier this evening. The Wisconsin Elections Commission, and the seventy-two county elections directors and their staffs performed at the highest level possible, ensuring that Wisconsin’s vote tallies were completed with the utmost professionalism and transparency. While Rep. Vos praised election workers in one breath, his words became a dagger when he suggested that Milwaukee’s central counting of absentee ballots was ‘inefficient’.
Perpetuating falsehoods of impropriety is an assault on our democracy. And using public dollars to fund a political witch hunt is sorely un-American. I urge the speaker to focus on the next session and support passage of legislation that would allow absentee ballots to be counted prior to Election Day.
There were bipartisan bills that sought to streamline our elections processes that were presented last session and they failed to be heard in the state senate. Instead of leading the charge for the Committee on Campaigns and Elections to investigate Milwaukee, I implore Rep. Vos to work with legislators to reintroduce these measures in the 2021 session. I also encourage him to work diligently with the new Senate Majority Leader to ensure more of our bipartisan assembly bills pass in the state senate.
The election is over in Wisconsin. It is time for us to put partisanship aside and get to work for the people of this state.”
- Murphy’s Law: The Vanishing Courage of Mike Gallagher - Bruce Murphy - May 11th, 2021
- Op Ed: Liz Cheney’s Profile In Courage - Dave Cieslewicz - May 9th, 2021
- Spindell Gets Second Term on Elections Commission - Henry Redman - Apr 30th, 2021
- A Tale of Two Elections - Melanie Conklin - Apr 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission Head Saw No Problems in Green Bay - Megan Hart - Mar 31st, 2021
- ‘Kraken’ Lawsuits Not Based on Facts - Graham Kilmer - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Republicans Attack Zuckerberg Election Grants Again - Shawn Johnson - Mar 11th, 2021
- Supreme Court Brushes Off Trump Election Challenge - Graham Kilmer - Mar 8th, 2021
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Wisconsin ‘Kraken’ Suit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Waukesha Republicans’ Pillow Paranoia - James Wigderson - Feb 25th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here