Rep. Robyn Vining Says Fight for Fair Maps Is Not Over
"72% of Wisconsinites believe we need non-partisan fair maps, so we will fight for them with everything we’ve got."
MADISON – The U.S. Supreme Court ruled yesterday that partisan gerrymandering is beyond the reach of federal courts. This ruling will likely end the current case in the Wisconsin Supreme Court against the state’s gerrymandered maps. State Representative Robyn Vining (D-Wauwatosa) issued the following statement in response:
“The Supreme Court decision today is disappointing, but we spent the last 6 months getting ready for it, just in case it went this way. In January, Democrats came together and declared the importance of fair maps. In February, the Governor announced that he would include Fair Maps in the proposed budget. In May, Republicans in the Joint Finance Committee removed Fair Maps from the budget – so we released our bill. I’ve taken the lead in the State Assembly on this bill, and, so far, all 36 Assembly Democrats, all 14 Senate Democrats, and 2 Assembly Republicans have signed on.
In this past election, Wisconsin Assembly Democrats received 200,000 more votes than Assembly Republicans, but Democrats make up just 36 of the 99 seats in the Assembly. The people of Wisconsin have a constitutional right to fair representation. Voters should get to choose their politicians; politicians should not get to choose their voters. I am committed to support nonpartisan redistricting for this reason, and to help encourage cooperation from the members of each party.
72% of Wisconsinites believe we need non-partisan fair maps, so we will fight for them with everything we’ve got. Now, tell your State Representatives and Senators to sign onto the bill and demand a public hearing. The will of the people is the law of the land, and the voice of the people is the heart of our state!”
- Gov. Evers Delivers Democratic Radio Address on The People’s Maps Commission - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Statement from Senator Erpenbach on The People’s Maps Commission - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces People’s Maps Commission Application and Selection Processes - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- 8 More Counties Plan Referendum on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Jun 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: Jensen Tries to Pre-Rig Redistricting - Matt Rothschild - Jun 9th, 2020
- WILL Wants WI Supreme Court to Take Redistricting Cases First - Shawn Johnson - Jun 4th, 2020
- Back in the News: Scott Walker Loses Again - Bruce Murphy - Apr 29th, 2020
- 51 of 72 Counties Now Back Fair Maps - Matt Rothschild - Apr 15th, 2020
- 23 Advisory Votes on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Mar 25th, 2020
- City Hall: Ballots Won’t Have Duplicate Gerrymandering Questions - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 27th, 2020
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Robyn Vining