Rep. Peter Barca Statement on Assembly Organization Committee Secret Ballot
"It’s ironic that the Republicans are seemingly using the same lack of transparency that led to our state having one of the worst cases of gerrymandering in history"
MADISON – The following is a statement from Assembly Democratic Leader Peter Barca regarding the hiring of private attorneys by the Assembly GOP to fight the unconstitutional legislative maps:
“The Assembly Republicans have decided that instead of complying with the court’s decision and undergoing an honest, open process to redraw legislative maps, they are attempting to hire private attorneys to keep unconstitutional maps in place at the expense of taxpayers.
“This is a disservice to the people of Wisconsin. In addition, this costly and unnecessary move to hire these attorneys is being decided by ballot rather than meeting in person in order to avoid questions and scrutiny from the public. It’s ironic that the Republicans are seemingly using the same lack of transparency that led to our state having one of the worst cases of gerrymandering in history.
“We’ve asked Speaker Robin Vos to hold a public meeting to address these concerns to avoid a repeat on the past. In the end, we must ensure that Wisconsin voters are fairly represented and that our state government is accountable to Wisconsin taxpayers.”
- Gov. Evers Delivers Democratic Radio Address on The People’s Maps Commission - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Statement from Senator Erpenbach on The People’s Maps Commission - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces People’s Maps Commission Application and Selection Processes - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- 8 More Counties Plan Referendum on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Jun 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: Jensen Tries to Pre-Rig Redistricting - Matt Rothschild - Jun 9th, 2020
- WILL Wants WI Supreme Court to Take Redistricting Cases First - Shawn Johnson - Jun 4th, 2020
- Back in the News: Scott Walker Loses Again - Bruce Murphy - Apr 29th, 2020
- 51 of 72 Counties Now Back Fair Maps - Matt Rothschild - Apr 15th, 2020
- 23 Advisory Votes on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Mar 25th, 2020
- City Hall: Ballots Won’t Have Duplicate Gerrymandering Questions - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 27th, 2020
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Peter Barca
"Along with my Democratic colleagues, I’ll work tirelessly to make this a better deal."