Remarkable art show celebrates 50th milestone
Admission is $10 and supports student scholarships.
MILWAUKEE (August 30, 2019) – One of the city’s most enduring cultural traditions, the Starving Artists’ Show at Mount Mary University, holds its 50th show from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 8.
The show, held on the grounds of Mount Mary University, features over 200 local and national artists who work in pottery, fiber, photography, painting, sculpture, glass and more. All artwork is original and priced at $100 or less. A jury of experienced Mount Mary alumnae select the artists for the show. The Mount Mary University Alumnae Association sponsors the show.
“The Starving Artists’ Show is unique in its goal to provide affordable original art by excellent artists,” said event chair Mary Bock. “We are celebrating amazing friendships developed over many years and the joy we have in raising funds for women’s education.”
Here are some facts about the show:
- Since the very beginning, the planners were adamant that this would never be a craft show, but would instead feature artists/artisans.
- A total of 48 artists participated in the first year of the show. Today there are over 200 juried artists and 5,800 annual attendees.
- Many of the original volunteers have remained actively involved in planning the show.
- The show has never been canceled. There’s almost always sunshine on the day of the show.
- Early shows raised dollars for variety of projects around campus. About 15 years ago, the Alumnae Association decided to focus primarily on raising money for scholarships with a goal to reach $1 million corpus.
- As of June 30, 2019, the fund’s corpus surpassed that $1 million goal.
- About $50,000 is raised each year in scholarships.
Admission is $10 and supports student scholarships. For more information, visit www.mtmary.edu/sas.
Mount Mary University is an urban Catholic university committed to social justice and the development of the whole person. Founded in 1913 by the School Sisters of Notre Dame, it is the first four-year, degree-granting Catholic institution for women in Wisconsin. Today it serves a diverse population and offers more than 30 undergraduate majors for women and eight graduate programs for women and men in four schools: Arts & Design, Humanities, Social Sciences & Interdisciplinary Studies, Natural & Health Sciences and Education, and Business. Mount Mary creates bold women who transform the world. #HerestotheBold
Recent Press Releases by Mount Mary University
Five alumnae also honored for achievements at Oct. 4 Awards Night
University recognized for diversity, social mobility