Rake Your Leaves into the Street Beginning October 1, 2015
City of Milwaukee residents may start raking leaves into the curb lanes starting Thursday, October 1
City of Milwaukee residents may start raking leaves into the curb lanes starting Thursday, October 1. City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works (DPW) Sanitation crews will begin collecting the leaves on Monday, October 12. Leaf collection will end on Wednesday, November 25.
Leaves and brush, along with other yard waste, are banned from landfills and must not be placed in garbage or recycling carts. DPW collects leaves, brush and yard waste separately from garbage and composts it, which conserves natural resources while saving the City money. Residents are also encouraged to mulch leaves, and leave grass clippings on the lawn. This saves time and money, and adds nutrients to the soil.
Tips for a successful fall leaf collection:
- Keep leaves away from storm drains in the street
- Keep piles away from sewer grates
- Place garden debris on top of leaf piles
- Do not put leaves in plastic bags
- Do not put leaves in garbage carts
- Do not put brush into the street – call 286-CITY (2489) through November for a pick-up
Sanitation staff collects an average of 15,000 tons of leaves each year between mid-October and the first week of December. Last year 15,360 tons of leaves were collected.
By mid-October, all City of Milwaukee households of four or fewer units should receive a DPW Fall 2015 newsletter in the mail. This newsletter includes important information on:
- Newly retrofitted Materials Recovery Facility in partnership with Waukesha County
- Year-round curbside set-out of garbage carts
- Recycling guidelines and feature about reducing contamination
- “Dirty Dozen” list of commonly encountered contaminants
- A guide for how to handle difficult-to-dispose-of items including propane tanks, TVs and electronics, bulky items, appliances, and brush
- Hours and locations of City drop-off sites for leaves, brush, old furniture and more.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by City of Milwaukee Dept. of Public Works
Proposals are due by 4:00 p.m. on December 22, 2017.
Traffic Signal Outage Scheduled: West Capitol Drive/West Fond du Lac Avenue/North 51st Boulevard IntersectionNov 17th, 2017 by City of Milwaukee Dept. of Public Works
Work scheduled for Saturday, November 18, weather permitting