President Thompson, UW mascots celebrate successful Vax Up! “70 for 70” campaign
70 students have been selected for $7,000 scholarships
MADISON, Wis.—University of Wisconsin System President Tommy Thompson today announced that 70 students have been selected through a random drawing to receive a $7,000 scholarship under the System’s Vax Up! “70 for 70” campaign.
The 70 students attend the 11 UW System universities that participated in the campaign and that also achieved a 70 percent COVID-19 vaccination rate among students.
Also today, the UW System released a short video on social media featuring Thompson celebrating the accomplishment with all university mascots. In the video, the “Board of Mascots” convenes to hear Thompson announce the success of the Vax Up! “70 for 70” campaign.
Thompson set a goal for 12 universities to reach a 70 percent student vaccination rate by Oct. 31. All but one reached the goal, while UW-Madison ran its own campaign.
“I believe in encouraging, rather than mandating, vaccines, and the scholarship incentive was a great motivator,” Thompson said.
Student scholarship winners have been notified by their universities. Funding for the scholarships is coming from the UW System.
President Thompson, chancellors, and other university officials will continue to encourage students to become vaccinated against COVID-19. Numerous universities also offered their own incentives, including scholarships, iPads, and gift cards to local merchants.
- Pandemic Surging As Holidays Begin - Erik Gunn - Nov 24th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff in Honor of Officer Daniel J. Daly - Gov. Tony Evers - Nov 23rd, 2021
- MATC to Host Public COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus Nov. 30 - Milwaukee Area Technical College - Nov 23rd, 2021
- UW Campuses Face Vaccine Mandate For Federal Contractors - Rich Kremer - Nov 22nd, 2021
- DHS Recommends COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Dose for Anyone 18 and Older - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Nov 19th, 2021
- Hospitals Relying on Temporary Travel Nurses - Shamane Mills - Nov 19th, 2021
- President Thompson, UW mascots celebrate successful Vax Up! “70 for 70” campaign - University of Wisconsin System - Nov 16th, 2021
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Nov 12th, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 Rising in Milwaukee County - Graham Kilmer - Nov 12th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff in Honor of Lt. Col. John A. Palese Jr. - Gov. Tony Evers - Nov 12th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Recent Press Releases by University of Wisconsin System
UW System also announced today that UW-Parkside hit the 70% mark
UW System also announced today that UW-Superior hit the 70% mark