PFAS In Wisconsin Webinar 2 p.m. April 19
Presented By The Wisconsin DNR & DHS
The webinar will include remarks from DNR Deputy Secretary Todd Ambs and DHS Secretary-designee Karen Timberlake. A presentation by DNR and DHS staff will provide an overview of PFAS and the work being done to mitigate PFAS in Wisconsin and at several sites around the state, including French Island and the Town of Campbell, the Marinette and Peshtigo area, Milwaukee Estuary Area of Concern and others.
PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) are a group of human-made chemicals used for decades in various products, including non-stick cookware, fast food wrappers, stain-resistant sprays and some types of firefighting foams. These contaminants stay in the environment and human body for extended periods of time. Recent findings indicate that exposure to certain PFAS may have harmful health effects in people.
Addressing PFAS contamination in the environment is part of Governor Tony Evers’ statewide initiative to ensure Wisconsinites have access to clean, safe, drinking water. In 2019, the governor signed Executive Order #40 to address the issue of PFAS across the state.
The governor’s 2021-23 biennial budget proposes significant resources for the monitoring and testing of PFAS including over $20 million over the next two years for assistance and resources to local communities that are impacted by PFAS contamination, aiding local fire departments in disposing of PFAS foam, and adding additional DNR staff to implement the Wisconsin PFAS Action Council’s action plan.
To learn more about PFAS and the environment including fish consumption advisories, visit the DNR’s PFAS webpage. For more information on PFAS and associated human health effects, visit the DHS’s PFAS webpage.
What: PFAS In Wisconsin Webinar
When: 2 p.m. Monday, April 19, 2021
Watch On YouTube Here: https://youtu.be/N7hWfYFw6s0
- Evers, Democrats Push PFAS Contamination Bill - Hope Kirwan - Apr 22nd, 2021
- Gov. Evers, State Legislators Announce Legislation to Address Statewide PFAS Contamination - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 21st, 2021
- State Officials Push Action on PFAS - Shamane Mills - Apr 20th, 2021
- PFAS In Wisconsin Webinar 2 p.m. April 19 - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 16th, 2021
- New Fish Consumption Advisory For Silver Creek - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 15th, 2021
- DNR Extends Deadline For Town Of Peshtigo Residents To Receive Free PFAS Sampling Of Private Drinking Water Wells - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 9th, 2021
- Business Lobby Sues DNR Over PFAS Testing - Danielle Kaeding - Apr 1st, 2021
- French Island Wells Show PFAS Pollution - Isiah Holmes - Mar 30th, 2021
- Multiple State Agencies Responding To PFAS Contamination On French Island - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Mar 25th, 2021
- Senate Passes Bill To Prevent Rape Kit Backlog - Shawn Johnson - Mar 16th, 2021
Read more about PFAS Problem here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Organized Volunteer Workdays Resume This Month