Northwestern Mutual Commits More Than $200,000 to Children’s Wisconsin for COVID-19 Relief
Funding will support frontline workers, healthcare providers and inpatient families
MILWAUKEE – April 30, 2020 – To support the evolving safety needs of healthcare providers and patients, Northwestern Mutual, through its Foundation, is contributing more than $200,000 to Children’s Wisconsin for COVID-19 relief efforts. This donation includes the creation, retooling and manufacturing of personal protective equipment, including masks and gowns, as well as meal gift cards to staff and families at the MACC Fund Center.
Children’s Wisconsin is a longstanding partner of the Northwestern Mutual Foundation through its Childhood Cancer Program, which is committed to finding cures, providing family and patient support and aiding survivors who struggle with the late effects of treatment.
“Currently, there is no greater need than helping to ensure the health and safety of our community members,” said Eric Christophersen, president, Northwestern Mutual Foundation. “Providing hospitals with access to these essential supplies is just one way we can support our healthcare professionals as they work to protect patients and families, including those in the fight against childhood cancer.”
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, there is a growing need for personal protective equipment across the country. Northwestern Mutual provided $100,000 for replacement lenses for Controlled Air Purifying Respirators (CAPR), the preferred protective apparel when treating patients, to be used by the team at Children’s. Scottish Rite Valley of Milwaukee donated an additional $10,000 to support this effort.
- Northwestern Mutual is also supporting the hospital by funding a unique partnership with local arts organizations. The Milwaukee Ballet, Milwaukee Repertory Theater, the Florentine Opera and First Stage have repurposed their costume-making skills to sew masks, gowns and face shields for use by hospital staff. These critical supplies will help protect hospital healthcare workers, in addition to keeping vulnerable young patients, including those battling childhood cancer, safe.
Food Relief and Support
- Every day since the pandemic began, frontline workers – doctors, nurses, therapists and support staff – have been providing essential care for patients and their families. Northwestern Mutual has donated more than $6,000 in Grubhub meal gift cards to help cover food costs for these workers and inpatient families at the Children’s Wisconsin MACC Fund Center.
- The company has also contributed vouchers for childhood cancer families to use to purchase meals at the hospital in response to the closing of its family center cooking areas.
As part of its recent $1.5 million donation to local and national nonprofits in response to COVID-19, the company also supported the expansion of Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation’s Travel for Care fund to help further address the challenges facing childhood cancer families. With the help of employees and financial advisors nationwide, the Northwestern Mutual Foundation’s Childhood Cancer Program has contributed more than $30 million, which includes funding over 400,000 hours of research to accelerate the search for a cure to pediatric cancer.
About Northwestern Mutual Foundation
The mission of the Northwestern Mutual Foundation is to improve the lives of children and families in need. The Foundation has given more than $370 million since its inception in 1992 and is designed to create lasting impact in the communities where the company’s employees and financial representatives live and work. We accomplish this by combining financial support, volunteerism, thought leadership and convening community partners to deliver the best outcomes. Our efforts are focused nationally on curing childhood cancer, and locally on education, neighborhoods and making our hometown of Milwaukee a great destination. Visit Northwestern Mutual Foundation to learn more.
About Northwestern Mutual
Northwestern Mutual has been helping people and businesses achieve financial security for more than 160 years. Through a holistic planning approach, Northwestern Mutual combines the expertise of its financial professionals with a personalized digital experience and industry-leading products to help its clients plan for what’s most important. With $290.3 billion in total assets, $29.9 billion in revenues, and $1.9 trillion worth of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual delivers financial security to more than 4.6 million people with life, disability income and long-term care insurance, annuities, and brokerage and advisory services. The company manages more than $161 billion of investments owned by its clients and held or managed through its wealth management and investment services businesses. Northwestern Mutual ranks 111 on the 2019 FORTUNE 500 and is recognized by FORTUNE® as one of the “World’s Most Admired” life insurance companies in 2020. Northwestern Mutual also received the highest score among individual life insurance providers in the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Life Insurance Satisfaction Study.
Northwestern Mutual is the marketing name for The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company (NM), Milwaukee, WI (life and disability insurance, annuities, and life insurance with long-term care benefits) and its subsidiaries. Subsidiaries include Northwestern Mutual Investment Services, LLC (NMIS) (securities), broker-dealer, registered investment adviser, member FINRA and SIPC; the Northwestern Mutual Wealth Management Company® (NMWMC) (fiduciary and fee-based financial planning services), federal savings bank; and Northwestern Long Term Care Insurance Company (NLTC) (long-term care insurance).
- WI Daily: 206 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 6th, 2021
- Surprising No One, Senator Johnson Votes Against Relief for Wisconsin Workers and Families - Opportunity Wisconsin - Mar 6th, 2021
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Votes to Pass the American Rescue Plan and Support Wisconsin - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 6th, 2021
- WI Daily: 350 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 5th, 2021
- DHS and Laboratory Partners Identify Variant Strain B.1.351 of SARS-CoV-2 in Wisconsin - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 5th, 2021
- Many South Side Seniors Now Eligible for Vaccination at Kosciuszko Community Center - Sup. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Mar 5th, 2021
- State Vaccine Hotline Up and Running - Graham Kilmer - Mar 5th, 2021
- County Targeting Vulnerable ZIP Codes for Vaccine - Graham Kilmer - Mar 5th, 2021
- Ron Johnson Pushes Conspiracies Ahead of Possible Third Term - Shawn Johnson - Mar 5th, 2021
- Gov. Evers, DHS Announce 1 Million Wisconsinites Have Received at Least One Dose of the COVID-19 Vaccine - Gov. Tony Evers - Mar 5th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Northwestern Mutual
Northwestern Mutual Commits $5 Million to Children’s Wisconsin and the MACC Fund Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders in Largest Standalone DonationFeb 25th, 2021 by Northwestern Mutual
Company builds upon more than $4.2 million in contributions to Children's Wisconsin cancer initiatives since 2013
Company advisors demonstrate strengthened commitment amidst nationwide volunteerism increase
By meeting clients' needs for greater financial security, the company breaks records with $2 trillion of life insurance protection and $200 billion in client investments