New eviction moratorium offers some relief for renters
Statement of Alderman Khalif J. Rainey September 2, 2020
I am pleased by today’s COVID-19 related announcement by the federal government that a moratorium on evictions will be in place through the end of the year. The measure will cover those tenants who can attest to a substantial loss of household income, the inability to pay full rent and best efforts to pay partial rent.
The moratorium – moved forward by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – does not absolve tenants of rent payment obligations, but it will help stop the spread of the virus by avoiding having renters wind up in shelters or other crowded living conditions (where the COVID-19 crisis could be compounded).
In Milwaukee, this is very welcome news, as we have seen a surge in evictions in the weeks since the CARES Act moratorium expired.
Under the new moratorium, tenants must also stipulate that eviction would be likely to render them homeless or force them to live with others at close quarters. Forms will be available on the C.D.C. website once the order is published in the Federal Register.
- WI Daily: 840 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 25th, 2021
- Evers Signs Bill on Unemployment System - Laurel White - Feb 25th, 2021
- DHS Announces Groups Eligible for COVID-19 Vaccine on March 1 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Feb 25th, 2021
- Milwaukee Health Department Adjusts Testing Hours at American Family Field - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Feb 25th, 2021
- WI Daily: 747 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Creates 4 Community Vaccine Clinics - Megan Hart - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Vaccination Rate Increasing - Graham Kilmer - Feb 24th, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Emergency Powers Laws in Urgent Need of Reform - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 24th, 2021
- Souls to the Polls Urges Sen. Johnson to Vote ‘Yes’ on COVID-19 Relief Bill in the U.S. Senate - Souls to the Polls Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- WI Daily: 566 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 23rd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Khalif Rainey
Statement of Alderman Khalif J. Rainey December 21, 2020