New eviction moratorium offers some relief for renters
Statement of Alderman Khalif J. Rainey September 2, 2020
I am pleased by today’s COVID-19 related announcement by the federal government that a moratorium on evictions will be in place through the end of the year. The measure will cover those tenants who can attest to a substantial loss of household income, the inability to pay full rent and best efforts to pay partial rent.
The moratorium – moved forward by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – does not absolve tenants of rent payment obligations, but it will help stop the spread of the virus by avoiding having renters wind up in shelters or other crowded living conditions (where the COVID-19 crisis could be compounded).
In Milwaukee, this is very welcome news, as we have seen a surge in evictions in the weeks since the CARES Act moratorium expired.
Under the new moratorium, tenants must also stipulate that eviction would be likely to render them homeless or force them to live with others at close quarters. Forms will be available on the C.D.C. website once the order is published in the Federal Register.
- WI Daily: Record Number of People Hospitalized with COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 22nd, 2020
- State Prisons Charging Inmates for Masks - Gretchen Schuldt - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Is UW-Madison Spreading COVID-19? - Henry Redman - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Evers Declares New Health Emergency, Extends Mask Mandate - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Gov. Evers Declares New Public Health Emergency Due to Campus Outbreaks, Issues New Face Coverings Order - Gov. Tony Evers - Sep 22nd, 2020
- WI Daily: Hospitalizations Reach Highest Point Since Early April - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 21st, 2020
- MKE County: County Offering Mortgage Assistance - Graham Kilmer - Sep 21st, 2020
- Milwaukee County Announces Mortgage Assistance Program - County Executive David Crowley - Sep 21st, 2020
- WI Daily: Over 100,000 Wisconsin Residents Have Contracted COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 20th, 2020
- WI Daily: Brown County Has Worst COVID-19 Outbreak in Wisconsin - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 19th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Khalif Rainey
Statement from Alderman Khalif J. Rainey September 21, 2020