Mayor Tom Barrett released the following statement regarding Officer Michael Mattioli:
“I renew my call for Officer Mattioli’s firing today.
“The Milwaukee Police Department requested the Milwaukee District Attorney conduct the criminal investigation of the incident leading to the criminal charges on April 19, the day of the beating of Mr. Acevedo. The District Attorney agreed to that request, conducted the criminal investigation, and concluded there was a factual and legal basis supporting the homicide charges it filed.
“Whether the authority to fire Officer Mattioli lies with the Police Chief, who has the authority to fire officers under section 62.50 of the Wisconsin Statutes, or the Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission, which took over the case, one thing is clear: Officer Mattioli must be fired.
“At a time when our community and nation need to restore trust in police officers, it is a slap in the face to the residents of this city to be forced to continue to pay the salary of an officer charged with homicide.
- Group Repainting Defund Mural, MPD Watches - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 5th, 2020
- Protest Day 37: Marches, Celebrations, Calls For Justice - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Rep. Brostoff’s Livestream From Tonight’s March - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Florists For Social Justice at Sherman Phoenix - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- This Weekends Protests Against Police Brutality - Graham Kilmer - Jul 3rd, 2020
- “Defund The Police” Becomes “Defend The Police” - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Protesters Enter the Cheesecake Factory at Mayfair - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 2nd, 2020
- City Hall: Should Police Report Every Time They Draw Weapon? - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- Giannis Protest Mural Planned for Bay View Bar - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- Tosa PD Getting New Body Cameras - Isiah Holmes - Jul 2nd, 2020
Read more about George Floyd Protests here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Mayor Tom Barrett
Mayor Tom Barrett released the following statement regarding the City of Milwaukee emergency curfew:Jun 3rd, 2020 by Mayor Tom Barrett
“The City of Milwaukee will not be issuing a curfew for today, June 3.”