Lipscomb Proposes Funds for Domes Preservation
"It is important that we continue to make real progress at the Domes in 2020."
MILWAUKEE – County Board Chairman Theodore Lipscomb, Sr., is calling for funding the ongoing development of a plan to restore the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory Domes with an amendment to the 2020 Milwaukee County budget.
Lipscomb’s amendment, co-sponsored by Supervisor Sylvia Ortiz-Velez, proposes setting aside about $108,000 for further development of a long-term plan to repair and preserve the Domes and revitalize Mitchell Park.
The Finance and Audit – Budget Committee voted (6-1) today to recommend Lipscomb’s amendment to the full Board.
“The Domes are a beloved cultural institution that we have made a commitment to repair and preserve,” said Lipscomb. “It is important that we continue to make real progress at the Domes in 2020.”
The Finance and Audit Committee is expected to consider Corporation Counsel’s responses to those questions, as well as a proposal to set aside an additional $50,000 to undertake financial due diligence requests related to the recommended long-term plan, at its November meeting.
The public is invited to weigh in on the 2020 Milwaukee County budget at the County Board’s annual public hearing on November 4 at 6:00 p.m.
Final consideration of all proposed budget amendments will take place at the County Board’s budget adoption meeting on November 12 at 9:30 a.m.
- MKE County: Board Approves Studying Demolition, Other Options For The Domes - Graham Kilmer - Dec 16th, 2022
- Supervisor Martinez Renews Call to Fund the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory - Sup. Juan Miguel Martinez - Dec 6th, 2022
- MKE County: New Policy Would Require County To Study Demolishing The Domes - Graham Kilmer - Dec 1st, 2022
- Supervisors Applaud Decision to Advance Historic Designation for Mitchell Park Domes - Sup. Juan Miguel Martinez - Sep 23rd, 2022
- MKE County: Supervisors Demand A Domes Plan - Graham Kilmer - Sep 13th, 2022
- Op Ed: How the Domes Can Be Saved - Frank Schneiger - Sep 12th, 2022
- MKE County: Task Force Rejects ARPA Funding for Domes - Graham Kilmer - Sep 8th, 2022
- Supervisors Martinez, Zerpa, and Martin Disagree with ARPA Task Force Decision to Reject Funding the Mitchell Park Domes - Sup. Juan Miguel Martinez - Sep 8th, 2022
- MKE County: Could Domes Get National Historic Designation? - Graham Kilmer - Aug 29th, 2022
- Supervisor Ortiz-Velez Urges County to Apply for State Funds to Repair Mitchell Park Domes - State Rep. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Sep 30th, 2021
Read more about Future of The Domes here