Instituting hazard pay a matter of fairness for front line City employees
Statement of Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs May 27, 2020
At today’s Common Council meeting I was proud to vote in support of the Mayor’s proclamation that institutes hazard pay immediately for those City employees who have continued to work in public facing roles during the COVID-19 pandemic. This measure brings Milwaukee in line with many other municipalities across the area.
I believe this is an issue of fairness that is in the best interest of many of our workers and that is why I sponsored the initial legislation asking the Department of Employee Relations to investigate this issue.
To those who serve in positions that cannot be managed from home and were asked to continue reporting to work when COVID-19 struck, this is one way in which we are able to show our gratitude for your continued dedication. Without the effort of many employees from the Department of City Development, Department of Public Works, Milwaukee Health Department and others, we would not have been able to continue offering essential services to our constituents.
On behalf of myself and the residents of the 6th Aldermanic District I say thank you for your continued service during these difficult times.
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Testing Continues to Fall, Case Rate Continues to Climb - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 5th, 2020
- WI Daily: Wisconsin Reports Biggest One-Day COVID-19 Case Increase - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Beware of Contact Tracing Scams - Bridgit Bowden - Jul 4th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Spread Keeps Accelerating in Wisconsin - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Moves Backward In Fight Against COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- State Unemployment Insurance System Failing Many - Bram Sable-Smith - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Racial Disparities Found in Safer-At-Home Arrests - Edgar Mendez - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Johnson Discusses Small Business Recovery at Axios Virtual Event - U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson - Jul 3rd, 2020
- The City of Milwaukee Phase 4 Assessment Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 3rd, 2020
- WI Daily: 14-Day Positive Case Rate Continues Upward Climb - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Milele Coggs
City Block Grant Director, Executive Director of Fire and Police Commission first appointees to be discussed