ICYMI: Illinois to sue EPA over Foxconn pollution
"Illinois stands to gain thousands of jobs from Foxconn without paying a dime and even they are skeptical and raising objections"
MADISON — Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan announced this week that Illinois intends to sue the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), led by scandal-plagued Donald Trump appointee Scott Pruitt, for exempting Foxconn from key pollution controls that would have protected the air quality for residents of both Wisconsin and Illinois.
“Gov. Scott Walker has failed to act in Wisconsinites’ best interests,” said Martha Laning, chair of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin. “Illinois stands to gain thousands of jobs from Foxconn without paying a dime and even they are skeptical and raising objections. I’m thankful that the Illinois AG is doing her job by taking a stand to protect air quality on behalf of the citizens of both Wisconsin and Illinois.”
The Foxconn deal was rushed through on the eve of Scott Walker’s tough re-election bid with little public input. Taxpayers will pay $4.5 billion to bring Foxconn here while Foxconn will owe virtually no taxes on its profits thanks to Republican tax legislation. The deal also exempts Foxconn from producing an environmental impact statement, a necessary review to assess how a project will affect the water, air and soil quality. Furthermore, it manipulates the judicial system to ensure that any cases involving Foxconn are heard by Walker’s hand-picked majority on the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
“In order to have healthy communities and families, we need a healthy environment,” added Laning. “The costs Scott Walker has forced Wisconsinites to incur in order to bring Foxconn here are astronomical. His priorities are clearly not with the future of Wisconsin, but with the future of his political career.”
- Murphy’s Law: About That Foxconn Venture Capital Fund - Bruce Murphy - Mar 30th, 2021
- Back in the News: Foxconn Could Invest $13 Billion - Bruce Murphy - Mar 16th, 2021
- Lawsuit Against Foxconn Dropped - Corri Hess - Mar 8th, 2021
- Hintz Doubts Foxconn Electric Car Project - Corri Hess - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The Foxconn Real Estate Show - Bruce Murphy - Feb 25th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Local Costs for Foxconn Cut By 2% - Bruce Murphy - Feb 8th, 2021
- Foxconn Sued for Breach of Contract - Corri Hess - Feb 4th, 2021
- Vos and Wanggaard Continue to Gaslight Public on Foxconn Development - A Better Mt. Pleasant - Feb 3rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Robin Vos Will Solve Foxconn Fiasco - Bruce Murphy - Feb 2nd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: 9 Reasons a New Foxconn Contract Is Unlikely - Bruce Murphy - Dec 21st, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Democratic Party of Wisconsin
Republican Politicians in the Legislature Continue To Waste Time With Irresponsible Political Games