Governor Walker Signs Leading on Lead Act into Law
"The health and safety of Wisconsin families is our top priority."
MILWAUKEE – Governor Scott Walker signed the Leading on Lead Act (Senate Bill 48) today at the Mother Kathryn Daniels Center in Milwaukee with Common Council President Ashanti Hamilton and Senator Robert Cowles. The Leading on Lead Act makes funding tools available to local communities and property owners to address lead service line contamination and replacement.
“The health and safety of Wisconsin families is our top priority,” said Governor Walker. “Replacing lead service lines is vital to protecting Wisconsin residents from the dangers of lead in our drinking water. Thank you to both Senator Robert Cowles and Rep. Jeremy Theisfeldt for their leadership in writing this legislation; as a result of their efforts, this bill passed with overwhelming, bipartisan support in both the Senate and Assembly. With tools provided through the Leading on Lead Act, local governments will have the opportunity to act on this important public health issue.”
The Leading on Lead Act creates financial assistance programs by which public water utilities may provide grants or loans to property owners to assist in the replacement of a lead-containing water service lines. The bill allows local governments to address this issue on a tailored, community-by-community basis. This legislation passed both houses on a voice vote.
- Evers Budget Has Green Goals - Danielle Kaeding - Feb 18th, 2021
- New Program for Lead-Poisoned Children - Matt Martinez - Dec 26th, 2020
- EPA Requires Lead Testing for Schools, Day Cares - Danielle Kaeding - Dec 22nd, 2020
- Lead Testing Down During Pandemic - Edgar Mendez - Nov 6th, 2020
- Op Ed: Lead Poisoning and a Listening Session - Carol Diggelman and Ann Batiza - Oct 27th, 2020
- SafeHomes initiative expands lead abatement efforts for a lead-free Milwaukee - Ald. Marina Dimitrijevic - Oct 27th, 2020
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Efforts Expand in Wisconsin - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Oct 26th, 2020
- Green Bay Replaces Every Lead Pipe - Megan Hart - Oct 7th, 2020
- EPA Unveils New Lead Regulations - Danielle Kaeding - Oct 2nd, 2020
- Op Ed: More Water Infrastructure Funding Needed - Radhika Fox and Kevin Shafer - Jul 26th, 2020
Read more about Lead Crisis here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Scott Walker
Governor Scott Walker ordered flags to half-staff on Saturday, April 14, 2018.
Governor Walker Orders Flags to Half-Staff as a Mark of Respect for Captain Christopher Truman of the Lake Mills Fire DepartmentJan 3rd, 2019 by Gov. Scott Walker
Captain Truman died on December 31, 2018, while selflessly assisting a driver of a crashed vehicle on Highway 12 near the Yahara River Bridge in Monona, Wisconsin.
Governor Scott Walker today appointed Attorney Scott J. Nordstrand to serve as a judge on the St. Croix County Circuit Court and Attorney David Meany to the position of Ashland County District Attorney.