Governor Walker Signs Leading on Lead Act into Law
"The health and safety of Wisconsin families is our top priority."
MILWAUKEE – Governor Scott Walker signed the Leading on Lead Act (Senate Bill 48) today at the Mother Kathryn Daniels Center in Milwaukee with Common Council President Ashanti Hamilton and Senator Robert Cowles. The Leading on Lead Act makes funding tools available to local communities and property owners to address lead service line contamination and replacement.
“The health and safety of Wisconsin families is our top priority,” said Governor Walker. “Replacing lead service lines is vital to protecting Wisconsin residents from the dangers of lead in our drinking water. Thank you to both Senator Robert Cowles and Rep. Jeremy Theisfeldt for their leadership in writing this legislation; as a result of their efforts, this bill passed with overwhelming, bipartisan support in both the Senate and Assembly. With tools provided through the Leading on Lead Act, local governments will have the opportunity to act on this important public health issue.”
The Leading on Lead Act creates financial assistance programs by which public water utilities may provide grants or loans to property owners to assist in the replacement of a lead-containing water service lines. The bill allows local governments to address this issue on a tailored, community-by-community basis. This legislation passed both houses on a voice vote.
More about the Lead Crisis
- Senator Baldwin Helps Deliver Over $62 Million for Clean Drinking Water in Wisconsin - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Feb 24th, 2023
- City Hall: Milwaukee Faces Complicated Question On What Lead Pipes To Replace Next - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 23rd, 2023
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Revitalize Milwaukee Plots Major Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 10th, 2023
- Senator Baldwin Supports New Initiative to Accelerate Lead Pipe Removal in Wisconsin - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jan 27th, 2023
- Wisconsin Communities Act to Prevent Lead Poisoning - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Aug 17th, 2022
- DNR Releases Annual Drinking Water Report - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Aug 1st, 2022
- Lead Enforcement Ordinance brings consequences for landlords’ inaction - Ald. Jose Perez - Jul 28th, 2022
- City Hall: New Penalties For Landlords Who Don’t Fix Lead Hazards - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 26th, 2022
- Congresswoman Gwen Moore Secures Key Investments and Vital Resources for Milwaukee in House-passed FY 2023 Omnibus Funding Package - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Jul 20th, 2022
- Biden’s Infrastructure Czar Visits City, Touts Lead Lateral Funding - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 13th, 2022
Read more about Lead Crisis here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Scott Walker
Governor Walker Orders Flags to Half-Staff Honoring Master Sergeant Jonathan DunbarApr 13th, 2019 by Gov. Scott Walker
Governor Scott Walker ordered flags to half-staff on Saturday, April 14, 2018.
Governor Walker Orders Flags to Half-Staff as a Mark of Respect for Captain Christopher Truman of the Lake Mills Fire DepartmentJan 3rd, 2019 by Gov. Scott Walker
Captain Truman died on December 31, 2018, while selflessly assisting a driver of a crashed vehicle on Highway 12 near the Yahara River Bridge in Monona, Wisconsin.
Governor Walker Appoints St. Croix County Judge and Ashland County District AttorneyJan 2nd, 2019 by Gov. Scott Walker
Governor Scott Walker today appointed Attorney Scott J. Nordstrand to serve as a judge on the St. Croix County Circuit Court and Attorney David Meany to the position of Ashland County District Attorney.