Governor Walker Signs Leading on Lead Act into Law
"The health and safety of Wisconsin families is our top priority."
MILWAUKEE – Governor Scott Walker signed the Leading on Lead Act (Senate Bill 48) today at the Mother Kathryn Daniels Center in Milwaukee with Common Council President Ashanti Hamilton and Senator Robert Cowles. The Leading on Lead Act makes funding tools available to local communities and property owners to address lead service line contamination and replacement.
“The health and safety of Wisconsin families is our top priority,” said Governor Walker. “Replacing lead service lines is vital to protecting Wisconsin residents from the dangers of lead in our drinking water. Thank you to both Senator Robert Cowles and Rep. Jeremy Theisfeldt for their leadership in writing this legislation; as a result of their efforts, this bill passed with overwhelming, bipartisan support in both the Senate and Assembly. With tools provided through the Leading on Lead Act, local governments will have the opportunity to act on this important public health issue.”
The Leading on Lead Act creates financial assistance programs by which public water utilities may provide grants or loans to property owners to assist in the replacement of a lead-containing water service lines. The bill allows local governments to address this issue on a tailored, community-by-community basis. This legislation passed both houses on a voice vote.
- Council effort to create lead-safe program moves forward - Ald. Khalif Rainey - Jul 7th, 2020
- City Hall: Milwaukee on 70-Year Pace To Replace Lead Laterals - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 13th, 2020
- City Hall: Audit Gives Water Works High Marks - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 12th, 2020
- League of Women Voters Presents Forum on Lead Poisoning March 6 - League of Women Voters of Milwaukee County - Mar 2nd, 2020
- AG Objects to Relaxed Lead Pipe Rules - Melanie Conklin - Feb 14th, 2020
- City Hall: Former Health Director Blames Barrett - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 24th, 2019
- Statement of Bevan K. Baker - Bevan K. Baker - Dec 23rd, 2019
- Mayor Barrett Proposes $2.2 Million in Block Grant Funds for Lead Abatement - Mayor Tom Barrett - Dec 4th, 2019
- City Hall: Health Department Probe a State Matter - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 14th, 2019
- City Hall: Proposal Uses Lead Abatement Funds for Marketing - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 7th, 2019
Read more about Lead Crisis here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Scott Walker
Governor Scott Walker ordered flags to half-staff on Saturday, April 14, 2018.
Governor Walker Orders Flags to Half-Staff as a Mark of Respect for Captain Christopher Truman of the Lake Mills Fire DepartmentJan 3rd, 2019 by Gov. Scott Walker
Captain Truman died on December 31, 2018, while selflessly assisting a driver of a crashed vehicle on Highway 12 near the Yahara River Bridge in Monona, Wisconsin.
Governor Scott Walker today appointed Attorney Scott J. Nordstrand to serve as a judge on the St. Croix County Circuit Court and Attorney David Meany to the position of Ashland County District Attorney.