Governor Walker Congratulates Wisconsin Olympians Who Participated in the 2018 Winter Olympics
Wishes 2018 Winter Paralympic Athletes Good Luck
MADISON – Governor Scott Walker today recognized Wisconsin athletes who participated in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
“Congratulations to every member of Team USA for a job well done in Pyeongchang, especially every athlete who has called Wisconsin home,” said Governor Walker. “To Matt Hamilton and John Shuster of our Men’s Curling Team, and Brianna Decker, Meghan Duggan, Amanda Kessel, Hilary Knight, and Alex Rigsby of our Women’s Hockey Team, congratulations on bringing home gold for our country. Wisconsin is proud of you. Also, good luck to our Paralympic Athletes, especially our Wisconsin natives: Penny Greely and Justin Marshall.”
From Team USA, there are 20 athletes who are either from Wisconsin, played for Marquette University, or played for the University of Wisconsin.
Penny Greely and Justin Marshall will both be competing in Wheelchair Curling during the 2018 Winter Paralympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The 2018 Winter Paralympics will be held from Thursday, March 8 through Sunday, March 18.
Team USA (names in bold received a gold medal):
- Matt Hamilton—Men’s Curling, McFarland
- John Shuster—Men’s Curling, Superior
- Brianna Decker—Women’s Hockey, Dousman
- Meghan Duggan—Women’s Hockey, former University of Wisconsin athlete
- Amanda Kessel—Women’s Hockey, Madison
- Alex Rigsby—Women’s Hockey, Delafield
- Hilary Knight—Women’s Hockey, former University of Wisconsin athlete
- Tony Granato—Men’s Hockey Head Coach, Head Coach of the Men’s Hockey Team at the University of Wisconsin
- Joanne Reid—Biathlon, Madison
- Casey Andringa—Freestyle Skiing, Milwaukee
- Ben Loomis—Nordic Combined, Eau Claire
- Matt Antoine—Skeleton, Prairie du Chien
- Nita Englund—Ski Jumping, Florence
- Emery Lehman—Speed Skating, former Marquette University student
- Brian Hansen—Speed Skating, former Marquette University student
- Mitch Whitmore—Speed Skating, Waukesha
- Shani Davis—Long Track Speedskating, Milwaukee
- Bobby Butler—Men’s Hockey, Milwaukee
- Chris Chelios—Men’s Hockey coach, former University of Wisconsin athlete
- Becca Hamilton—Mixed Doubles & Women’s Curling, McFarland
- Nina Roth—Women’s Curling, McFarland
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Scott Walker
"Schimel has shown a commitment to the rule of law and the State of Wisconsin."
Governor Walker Announces No-Interest Loans Now Available for Southwestern Wisconsin Business Owners Affected by FloodingNov 9th, 2018 by Gov. Scott Walker
WEDC awards $155,000 grant for loan program to assist small businesses in paying for restoration and related costs
"It has been my honor to serve as your Governor for nearly eight years."