Gov. Evers Signs Act 185 Trailer Bill
"I look forward to having a larger conversation about reforming our juvenile justice system."
MADISON — Gov. Tony Evers last Friday signed Assembly Bill 188, now 2019 Wisconsin Act 8, into law. Wisconsin Act 8 makes a number of technical changes to 2017 Wisconsin Act 185, including modifying the deadlines related to county-run juvenile facilities, modifying the deadline for closing Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake, and clarifying the process for transferring between facilities.
“Our top priority remains getting our kids out of Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake and closer to home as soon as we safely and responsibly can, and our agencies are working to collaborate and find efficiencies in this process,” said Gov. Evers. “I look forward to having a larger conversation about reforming our juvenile justice system. We need to focus on investing in front-end prevention, alternatives, and diversion when youth intersect with the justice system, and trauma-informed, evidence-based practices.”
Office of the Governor
- Evers Proposes $45.8 Million for Milwaukee Juvenile Facility - Gretchen Schuldt - Mar 1st, 2021
- MKE County: County Has Just 22 Inmates in Youth Prisons - Edgar Mendez - Feb 24th, 2021
- Evers Pushes Juvenile Justice System Changes - Corri Hess - Feb 18th, 2021
- Youth Justice Milwaukee Calls for Transformation of the Wisconsin Youth Justice System as the State Acknowledges it Will Not Meet the July 2021 Deadline to Close Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake Prisons - Youth Justice Milwaukee - Feb 8th, 2021
- Pandemic Causes Youth Prison Problems - Graham Kilmer - Jan 27th, 2021
- Can State Rescue Youth Corrections Plan? - Graham Kilmer - Jan 11th, 2021
- State Can’t Meet Deadline to Close Youth Prisons - Graham Kilmer - Dec 30th, 2020
- MKE County: Crowley Defers Youth Corrections Grant Until State Has Sustainable Plan - Graham Kilmer - Sep 16th, 2020
- State Blows Up County Youth Corrections Plan - Graham Kilmer - May 20th, 2020
- Youth Advocates Remain Committed to Closing Wisconsin Youth Prisons Following Monitor’s Report - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Mar 5th, 2020
Read more about Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake here