Gov. Evers, Several Great Lakes States’ Governors Commend Bipartisan Collaboration in Washington to Address PFAS
MADISON — Gov. Tony Evers joined the governors of Michigan, Minnesota, New York, and Pennsylvania in support of the PFAS Action Act, bipartisan federal legislation the U.S. House of Representatives voted to approve this week. This comprehensive legislation would help accelerate the enactment of national public health and environmental protections from PFAS. The governors signed a letter of support for the PFAS Action Act.
“If history is to be a judge of our future success in addressing PFAS, we need to enact strong, comprehensive federal legislation, coupled with sufficient authority and resources for the states to successfully address the challenges posed by PFAS contamination in our states and across state boundaries,” the letter reads.
Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, New York and Pennsylvania have engaged in efforts to strategize and collaborate between states to address PFAS. Wisconsin continues to move forward to develop environmental standards and take actions to make sure that all Wisconsinites have safe drinking water.
The letter of support stresses the key areas in which federal action is especially needed, including designating PFAS a hazardous substance under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA), the development of national standards for water and air as well as PFAS management guidelines, funding for impacted communities and product stewardship.
The letter also reflects the Great Lakes states’ shared commitment to addressing PFAS in the environment and protecting public health and encourages Congress to take action as we move forward in tackling PFAS contamination across the country.
- AG Kaul Leads Coalition in Support of EPA’s proposal to include PFAS as a class in the Contaminant Candidate List 5 - Wisconsin Department of Justice - Sep 17th, 2021
- DNR To Host ‘Threats On Tap: Marginalized Communities’ Webinar Sept. 15 - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Sep 10th, 2021
- Deer Liver PFAS Surveillance Results Now Available - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Sep 7th, 2021
- Groundwater Coordinating Council Releases Annual Report - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Aug 31st, 2021
- AG Kaul, Gov Evers Announce Outside Counsel for Potential PFAS Claims - Wisconsin Department of Justice - Aug 25th, 2021
- Op Ed: It’s Time to Reclaim Wisconsin’s Legacy of Water Protection - Tony Wilkin Gibart - Aug 13th, 2021
- How is PFAS Getting Into Rhinelander’s Water? - Elizabeth Dohms-Harter - Aug 6th, 2021
- French Island Residents Face PFAS Pollution - Hope Kirwan - Aug 2nd, 2021
- DNR Takes On Water Quality Issues Despite Opposition From GOP, Industry - Danielle Kaeding - Jul 29th, 2021
- Op Ed: State Republicans Oppose Federal PFAS Law - James Rowen - Jul 26th, 2021
Read more about PFAS Problem here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Tony Evers