Gov. Evers, Attorney General Kaul File Motion to Intervene in Redistricting Lawsuit
Governor asks to intervene in lawsuit asking a federal court to draw Wisconsin’s electoral maps
MADISON — Gov. Tony Evers, together with Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul, today announced a move asking a federal court to allow Gov. Evers to intervene in a lawsuit filed last month that asks a federal court to draw the state’s next set of electoral maps. The governor’s motion, filed by Attorney General Kaul and the Wisconsin Department of Justice, contends Wisconsin law recognizes a joint role for both the governor and the Legislature in the redistricting process, and therefore that the governor should have the opportunity to provide input in the litigation.
“I never thought I would be spending a lot of my time as governor protecting our democracy, but it’s clear that with continued attacks on the right to vote, misinformation around the 2020 election, and efforts to gerrymander our maps, this work has never been more important,” said Gov. Evers. “I will continue to fight every day to protect the right of every eligible voter to cast their ballot, to ensure we have fair, free, and secure elections, and to have fair maps in Wisconsin.”
“Gerrymandering stifles the voice of the people in order to serve politicians’ self-interest. We need to put an end to this practice that undermines our democracy,” said Attorney General Kaul, who is representing the governor in the case.
The Republican-led Wisconsin State Legislature has already been allowed to intervene and have requested that the court dismiss the lawsuit outright. Last December and January, the Republican leaders in the Legislature signed contracts worth more than $1 million with private law firms to help draft and defend new maps.
A copy of the motion to intervene is available here.
- State Supreme Court Will Hear Redistricting Case - Laurel White - Sep 22nd, 2021
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Takes WILL Redistricting Case - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Sep 22nd, 2021
- Statement on Tuesday’s Federal Judicial Redistricting Hearing - Fair Elections Project - Sep 22nd, 2021
- Federal Court Could Intervene in Wisconsin Redistricting - Henry Redman - Sep 17th, 2021
- Evers, Kaul File Redistricting Lawsuit - Henry Redman - Sep 14th, 2021
- Gov. Evers, Attorney General Kaul File Motion to Intervene in Redistricting Lawsuit - Gov. Tony Evers - Sep 13th, 2021
- Lawsuits Fight Over State Redistricting - Henry Redman - Sep 8th, 2021
- Three Counties Push Nonpartisan Redistricting - Laurel White - Sep 7th, 2021
- Op Ed: State High Court Wary of Doing Redistricting - Ruth Conniff - Sep 6th, 2021
- Competing Redistricting Lawsuits in Federal, State Courts - Henry Redman - Aug 24th, 2021
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here