Gov. Evers Announces FEMA COVID-19 Mass Vaccination Clinic Site to Open in Eau Claire on April 8
Mass vaccination clinic to serve thousands in the Chippewa Valley area
MADISON — Gov. Tony Evers announced today that a federally supported mass vaccination clinic will open on April 8 at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire’s Zorn Arena for COVID-19 vaccinations. In coordination with state and local partners, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Region 5 will coordinate staff and support services to run the center. Wisconsin has committed to providing at least 3,500 weekly vaccine doses from the state’s allocation for the site, and up to 7,000 first doses weekly based on supply. This is the second mass vaccination clinic site to open in the state and will have the capacity to vaccinate 1,200 people per day.
“As Wisconsin continues to be a regional and national leader in using vaccine available, we’re grateful for FEMA’s support to help build our vaccination efforts on a larger scale to get more shots in arms quickly as we have vaccine available,” said Gov. Evers. “I appreciate the hard work of all of our partners coming together to get this second, high volume vaccination site up and running.”
UW-Eau Claire’s College of Nursing and Health Sciences faculty, staff, and students provided support for the weekly clinics and will continue to support the Eau Claire City-County Health Department with the mass vaccination clinic. “We are proud to be able to help the community in the ongoing fight against COVID-19, and thanks to our partners at the local, state and federal level, this vaccination site will help western Wisconsin move forward,” said UW-Eau Claire Chancellor James Schmidt.
The Eau Claire City-County Health Department has worked closely with UW-Eau Claire to coordinate community testing and mass vaccination efforts. “Getting a vaccine is a critical step toward ending the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Lieske Giese, Health Department Director. “As vaccine supply continues to increase, we hope people will make an appointment and get vaccinated as soon as they are eligible.”
Zorn Arena offers easy access for residents in the city and for visitors to Eau Claire via U.S. Highways 12 and 53, and Interstate 94. Parking will be available on campus.
For up-to-date information about Wisconsin’s COVID-19 response, visit the DHS COVID-19 webpage. We encourage you to follow @DHSWI on Facebook, Twitter, or dhs.wi on Instagram for more information on COVID-19.
- WI Daily: 727 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 17th, 2021
- WI Daily: 709 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 16th, 2021
- MKE County: Children Contributing to Rising COVID-19 - Graham Kilmer - Apr 16th, 2021
- Wisconsin Unemployment at 3.8% - Erik Gunn - Apr 16th, 2021
- Federal Pharmacy Partnership for Long-Term Care (LTC) Program Ending - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Apr 16th, 2021
- Council file seeks Health Department information on Johnson & Johnson vaccinations - Ald. Milele Coggs - Apr 16th, 2021
- Vaccination Numbers Going Down - Graham Kilmer - Apr 15th, 2021
- WI Daily: 943 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 15th, 2021
- DHS Releases Improved COVID-19 Hospital Data Webpage - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Apr 15th, 2021
- WI Daily: 929 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 14th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Tony Evers
Gov. Evers Reaches Deal with USDA, Preserves More Than $70 Million a Month in Food Assistance for Wisconsin FamiliesApr 13th, 2021 by Gov. Tony Evers
More than 400,000 Wisconsin households to continue seeing emergency food assistance as state COVID-19 cases trend in wrong direction
Estimated 9,300 small businesses to receive $5,000 grants through ‘We’re All In’ program
Gov. Evers Announces FEMA Support for COVID-19 Mass Vaccination Clinic Site in Madison Begins April 7Apr 6th, 2021 by Gov. Tony Evers
Mass vaccination clinic to serve thousands at Alliant Energy Center