Foxconn Played Walker and Republican Leadership
Deal’s Constant Changes Doesn’t Bode Well for Wisconsin Workers
(MADISON) – In response to a Reuters article in which a Foxconn’s Louis Woo discussed the company’s shifting commitment to hire 13,000 workers in Wisconsin and instead focus on a technology hub requiring far less workers, Sen. Lena Taylor (Milwaukee) released the following statement:
“Almost has soon as the ink dried on the Wisconsin deal, Foxconn started walking back their promises. Immediate reductions in screen sizes, hires, Chinese workers instead of Americans, plant operations, assembly workers, and on and on. The only thing that hasn’t changed is that this has been a bad deal for Wisconsin since the start. At some point, Republican leadership needs to admit, plain and simple, they got played.
While Donald Trump, Paul Ryan, Scott Walker, state Republicans and even Kanye West were extolling the virtues of this deal, they chose to ignore what was staring them in the face. This is a company that has a well-documented pattern of “bait and switch” tactics. The writing was on the wall. Yet Walker and crew, with an eye on re-election, chose to look the other way.
And for Speaker Vos, to imply that a change in the Governor’s office is justification for Foxconn’s outright lies to the residents of this state, is ridiculous. It also doesn’t fly, since again, Foxconn started reneging on aspects of the deal while Walker was still in office.
Now, Wisconsin residents are staring this problem dead in the face. We are stuck with one more promise of jobs that likely won’t materialize, but this time, we should all be asking, at what cost?”
- Murphy’s Law: How Kleefisch Failed On Foxconn - Bruce Murphy - Sep 13th, 2021
- Back in the News: Fisker Wants State Law Changed For Potential Foxconn Car Factory - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Wants a New Subsidy? - Bruce Murphy - Jul 26th, 2021
- Village Board Unanimously Votes to Blight Local Business for Foxconn - A Better Mt. Pleasant - Jul 13th, 2021
- Op Ed: EPA Overrules Pruitt-Walker Smog Increases - James Rowen - Jun 7th, 2021
- Village Paid Foxconn Project Manager Nearly $1 Million - Corri Hess - May 28th, 2021
- Op Ed: Foxconn Shows Folly of Cheesehead Revolution - Dan Shafer - May 12th, 2021
- Foxconn Deal Doesn’t Reduce Local Government Risk - Corri Hess - May 3rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The True Costs of New Foxconn Deal - Bruce Murphy - Apr 28th, 2021
- The State of Politics: All Sides Won On New Foxconn Deal - Steven Walters - Apr 26th, 2021
Read more about Foxconn Facility here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Lena Taylor