Fiserv Forum Achieves LEED Silver Certification
"Fiserv Forum is a world-class arena in all aspects, including sustainability, and we are proud to announce our LEED Silver Certification on Earth Day."
MILWAUKEE (April 22, 2019) – Fiserv Forum was awarded a LEED Silver Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). Milwaukee’s world-class arena received an A+ rating and is the first sports and entertainment venue in Wisconsin to earn LEED Silver Certification.
“Fiserv Forum is a world-class arena in all aspects, including sustainability, and we are proud to announce our LEED Silver Certification on Earth Day,” said Fiserv Forum and Bucks President Peter Feigin. “We take to heart our role as caretakers of the community, and initiatives like bird-friendly windows, the elimination of plastic straws, and low-flow toilets demonstrate our commitment to the environment and the future of Milwaukee.”
Fiserv Forum achieved LEED Silver Certification for implementing practical and measurable strategies and solutions aimed at achieving high performance in the categories of: sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, indoor environmental quality, innovation and design process, and regional priority.
Specific initiatives that contributed toward Fiserv Forum’s certification include:
- The 5th Street Parking Structure boasts electric vehicle charging stations and carpool spaces. In addition to local transit services, these features help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and combat climate change.
- Plants native to this region were selected to reduce outdoor water consumption as they require less water to stay healthy.
- Low-flow toilets help reduce arena water use by more than 30 percent. That’s enough water savings to fill 8 million water balloons per year.
- Heat recovery technology and other efficient design practices reduce energy use by 12 percent.
- All food and drink containers are compostable, and no plastic straws are distributed.
- All construction materials were selected to promote healthy air quality by reducing harmful emissions.
- Environmentally-friendly cleaning products put less stress on the local water system and promote a healthy ecosystem.
“Fiserv Forum’s LEED certification demonstrates tremendous green building leadership,” said Mahesh Ramanujam, president and CEO, USGBC. “LEED was created to make the world a better place and revolutionize the built environment by providing everyone with a healthy, green and high performing buildings. Fiserv Forum serves as a prime example of how the work of innovative building projects can use local solutions to make a global impact on the environment.”
The LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) rating system, developed by the USGBC, is the foremost program for buildings, homes and communities that are designed, constructed, maintained and operated for improved environmental and human health performance.
The partners that contributed to Fiserv Forum’s LEED Silver Certification are Populous, Eppstein Uhen Architects, CAA ICON, Mortenson, ME-Engineers, Johnson Controls and Courtney France of France Sustainable Solutions.
About Fiserv Forum
Fiserv Forum is a preeminent sports and entertainment arena in downtown Milwaukee that opened on Aug. 26, 2018. Designed by Populous, Eppstein Uhen Architects and HNTB, the venue offers incomparable sightlines, customer service, technology and amenities. Fiserv Forum includes 17,341 seats for basketball and up to 18,000 for concerts, with 34 luxury suites and three clubs. The new venue hosts a diverse variety of events, including the Milwaukee Bucks, Marquette University men’s basketball, major concerts, family shows and other sports and entertainment events, and has been selected to host the 2020 Democratic National Convention. In addition to Fiserv, Founding Partners for Fiserv Forum include BMO Harris Bank, Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin, Johnson Controls and Miller Brewing Company.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Fiserv Forum
Located on the east side of Fiserv Forum, the 6,500-square-foot Jockey Club is utilized for all Fiserv Forum events.
Grammy-award winning duo to headline their first-ever arena tour across 35+ U.S. cities. “10,000 Hours” - New single with Justin Bieber has massive worldwide debut
According to Pollstar’s Newly Released Mid-Year List