Files in support of election operations and federal COVID relief approved by Council
At today’s meeting of the Common Council (Tuesday, October 13th), a trio of files sponsored by Common Council President Cavalier Johnson gained approval. The first is file #200755 – a resolution relative to acceptance and expenditure of the Center for Tech and Civic Life grant. This resolution authorizes the Election Commission to accept and expend additional grant funds in the amount of $1,255,000 to ensure that all voters in the City of Milwaukee have access to safe and secure voting during the November 3rd election. The grant will provide funding for additional election apparatus, tabulators, drive-up voting sites, and additional personal protective equipment for election workers. File #200749 – a resolution directing department heads to recruit staff who are willing and able to be assigned to work for the Election Commission during the November 2020 election was also approved. The file intends to use City of Milwaukee staff to supplement any shortage in election workers that exists.
The Common Council also approved file #200758 – a substitute resolution expressing the City of Milwaukee’s support for enacting new federal legislation to provide direct financial relief funding to local governments and provide economic stimulus – including rent assistance, mortgage deferrals, small business loans and enhanced unemployment support. The file is co-sponsored by Alderman Ashanti Hamilton and Alderman Michael J. Murphy. “COVID-19 is continuing to impact citizens across the country and in particular here in Wisconsin. It is time the federal government act in the interest of those who need support now more than ever, and provide aid to local governments who are on the front line combating this virus,” Alderman Johnson continued.
- WI Daily: Record 1,172 People Actively Hospitalized With COVID-19 As DHS Restores Dashboard - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 19th, 2020
- Judge Restores Restaurant, Bar Restrictions - Shawn Johnson - Oct 19th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement on Denial of Temporary Injunction Request for State’s Public Gathering Limits - Gov. Tony Evers - Oct 19th, 2020
- Op Ed: Demand a Joint Vos and Evers Virus Plan - John Torinus - Oct 18th, 2020
- Health Departments Plan For Mass Vaccine Distribution - Rich Kremer - Oct 18th, 2020
- WI Daily: No COVID-19 Data Release This Weekend - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 17th, 2020
- Waukesha County Exec Has COVID-19 - Erik Gunn - Oct 17th, 2020
- Religious Leaders Want Stricter COVID-19 Measures - Erik Gunn - Oct 17th, 2020
- Mask Mandate Targeted by Another Conservative Lawsuit - Shawn Johnson - Oct 16th, 2020
- Friday Photos: The Architecture of a Pandemic - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 16th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Recent Press Releases by Common Council President Cavalier Johnson
Statement of Common Council President Cavalier Johnson October 14, 2020