Courthouse Opening Runs Smoothly
The Milwaukee County Courthouse reopened today for most court services and, with the exception of a few hiccups, things ran smoothly.
MILWAUKEE – The Milwaukee County Courthouse reopened today for most court services and, with the exception of a few hiccups, things ran smoothly. Hundreds of people, including jurors, attorneys and the public entered the building without a problem.
“We expected a few bumps and still have a ways to go, but today’s opening is another great step in the process in getting everything back to normal,” County Executive Chris Abele said. “None of this could have been done without the tireless work and planning of so many people, a huge thank you to them.”
The entrances to the Courthouse on 10th and 9th Streets remain closed Tuesday; however people can use the Courthouse entrance on Wells Street. People can also use the entrances to the Safety Building or Criminal Justice Facility and take the skywalk to get to the Courthouse. Anyone requiring handicap accessibility should enter through the Criminal Justice Facility and will be directed from there.
Part of the fourth floor as well as the fifth, sixth and seventh floors of the Courthouse are cleaned and open. All Criminal, Family, Small Claims Cases and Jury Trials resumed. Most other services including, Marriage Licenses, are available for the time being off-site.
All Large Claims Civil Cases are closed through the end of the week; clerks from those courts are sending notice of new hearing dates to all affected parties. Large Claims operations will resume Monday, July 22nd.
Employees should follow their managers or Department Head’s instructions on where to report to work this week.
· All Criminal, Family, Small Claims Cases and Jury Trials resumed today.
· Large Claims Cases will resume Monday, July 22nd.
· Limited Probate services will be available, people should report to room 117 of the Safety Building for Courtroom information.
· The Courthouse Cafeteria will be closed but there are food options at the nearby Public Museum and MATC Cafe and we have invited Food Trucks to park close by.
The following services remain available off-site:
· Wedding licenses are available in room 105 at the City Campus building (2711 W. Wells St.)
Register of Deeds
· The Register of Deeds department is recording the majority of real estate documents that are submitted. These electronically submitted documents (eDocs) are being processed remotely.
· Register of Deeds is unable to sell vital records copies but records of birth and death events that occurred within the Cities of Milwaukee and West Allis can be obtained from the health departments of those cities. All other county birth, death and marriage records can be obtained from the state vital records office in Madison.
Child Support Services
· Milwaukee County Child Support Services will run a satellite office from 9am – 3:30 p.m. at the Marcia P. Coggs Building (1220 W. Vliet Street).
· Limited services will be available, but Child Support staff will be on site to meet with participants with child support concerns, and accept payments.
· Income withholding notices will still be processed by Milwaukee County staff temporarily working from the Waukesha County Courthouse.
· The Wisconsin State Child Support trust fund remains operational, and is processing and crediting payments at this time.
· Most other staff and functions including, The Comptroller, Treasurer, Human Resources, Fiscal and Budgeting, Department of Family Care, Disability Services and Corporation Counsel are working from other locations across the County.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by County Executive Chris Abele
Meyers, a 33 year County employee, Will Continue County’s Successful Efforts on Collaborative, Community-Based, Trauma-Informed Care
Abele Again Calls on Board to Reverse $15.7 Million Budget Cut
With sub-zero temperatures on the way, Milwaukee County helps keep homes warm with Energy AssistanceDec 12th, 2017 by County Executive Chris Abele
Eligible homeowners and renters use Energy Assistance to save on energy costs