Conservation Voters issue statement on lame duck bills
If passed, the bills will have dire consequences for Wisconsin’s environment.
Rather than accept the will of the people, in a lame duck session beginning today, top Republicans will attempt to undermine Wisconsin’s democracy with a series of unprecedented and radical bills meant to sabotage the state’s duly elected new leaders.
If passed, the bills will have dire consequences for Wisconsin’s environment – diminishing the roll of scientists and other experts at the DNR, reducing the checks and balances between governor, legislature, and attorney general, and favoring illegal polluters. It would also further restrict voting rights and stack the deck in an upcoming judicial election.
One of the proposed bills, AB1070, contains extensive changes to agency rulemaking that will undermine core protections for Wisconsin’s lakes and rivers, air quality, and drinking water. This comes at a time when thousands of Wisconsinites can’t drink their tap water, our lakes are filling with toxic green algae, and our air quality is worsening.
Conservation voters also strongly oppose reducing the powers of the attorney general. Our public health and the health of our environment depends on maintaining a system of checks and balances that safeguard against undue influence from polluting special interests.
Executive Director Kerry Schumann had this to say about the lame duck bills:
“The people of Wisconsin could not have made it clearer on Election Day: it is time for a change. This goes far beyond being sore losers. It’s wrong, it’s unfair, and it’s dangerous. These lawmakers are willing to completely redesign democracy in Wisconsin to undermine the will of the people, further line the pockets of illegal polluters, and attack our most fundamental civil right – the vote.”
Since Saturday, conservation voters have already sent more than 1,000 messages to lawmakers demanding they reject this political power grab and honor the will of the people.
- State Supreme Court Dismisses AG’s Lame-Duck Lawsuit - Ruth Conniff - Mar 25th, 2021
- Kaul Sues Legislature Over Lame Duck Laws - Melanie Conklin - Nov 24th, 2020
- AG Kaul Announces Legal Action to Allow DOJ to Again Enforce Wisconsin Laws Without Unconstitutional Legislative Interference - Josh Kaul - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Vos Thinks Lame-Duck Session Didn’t Go Far Enough - Melanie Conklin - Jul 31st, 2020
- The State of Politics: Court Rulings Against Evers Sow Confusion - Steven Walters - Jul 20th, 2020
- Court Tosses Dems’ Lame-Duck Suit - Laurel White - Jul 16th, 2020
- Op Ed: State High Court Nullifies 2018 Election - James Rowen - Jul 12th, 2020
- WI Supreme Court Upholds GOP Lame-Duck Laws - Laurel White - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement on State Supreme Court’s Ruling on Lame Duck - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Lame Duck Supreme Court Upholds Lame Duck GOP Power Grab - State Sen. Chris Larson - Jul 9th, 2020
Read more about Lame Duck Laws here