Abele Thumbs Nose at Court
Attempts to Ignore County Policy on Estabrook Dam
Milwaukee County Board Chairman Theodore Lipscomb, Sr. said today that County Executive Chris Abele is ignoring County policy on the repair of the Estabrook Dam and acting contrary to a recent understanding reached in a Circuit Court case.
- Milwaukee County authorized repair of the dam in 2009 and allocated all necessary funds for the repair, but the Parks Department has failed to implement the policy.
- The policy of Milwaukee County is to repair the dam, and all necessary funding is available.
- Circuit Court Judge Christopher Foley accepted that the County is pursuing repair of the dam.
- The County Executive is operating outside the law by not effectuating the project.
- There is no further action necessary by the County Board to repair the dam.
“Since he took office in 2011, the actions of the County Executive on the Estabrook Dam have subjected the County to increased costs of litigation,” Lipscomb said. “All necessary authorization and funding has been approved, secured and re-affirmed. It is time to move forward on dam repair and conform to the assurances the County provided to the court in July of 2015 and to the public in November of 2009.”
The City of Glendale will hold a public information session for residents to learn about the debate that has surrounded the Estabrook Dam, as well as the dam’s history and significance, tonight from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Glen-Hills Middle School, 2600 W. Mill Rd.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by County Board Chairman Theodore Lipscomb, Sr.
Milwaukee County to Begin Transition Away from Fossil Fuels
"Milwaukee County is facing a serious funding crisis."