Historic church in downtown Milwaukee.
From Guides to Historic Milwaukee: Juneautown Walking Tour by Mary Ellen Pagel and Virginia Palmer (1965)…
St. Mary’s, constructed for a German congregation, is the oldest church still in use in Milwaukee. Its designer, a native of Germany, also drew the plans for St. Johns’ Cathedral and for Holy Trinity Church. In 1867 extensive alterations were made to the interior and exterior of St. Mary’s and necessitated the erection of a new west façade and a new tower, but the simple, classical flavor of the original design was retained in these additions. When the Municipal Building was erected nearby in 1961, it was deliberately placed back from Kilbourn Avenue so that the view of St. Mary’s from the west would remain unobstructed.
ROW Excavation Utility.