Gableman’s Own Attorney Calls Election Decertification ‘Pointless’
The former State Supreme Court justice asked lawmakers to consider decertifying 2020 election.
A few weeks ago, former Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Michael Gableman urged a panel of state lawmakers to take a hard look at decertifying Wisconsin’s 2020 U.S. presidential election.
But on Thursday, Gableman’s own lawyer told those same legislators that the idea was both impossible and “pointless.”
He was invited to testify Thursday before the Assembly Committee on Campaigns and Elections alongside Catherine Engelbrecht, “True The Vote” founder and president. Bopp has served for years as the group’s lawyer. Like Gableman, Bopp has repeatedly cast doubt on the way the 2020 election was run.
But when asked Thursday whether he believed decertification should be an option, Bopp rejected the idea.
“It serves zero legal purpose, and in my opinion, useful purpose, to be talking about doing some, like, decertification that is pointless,” Bopp said.
Bopp argued that “recertification” would have been an option in Wisconsin prior to Jan. 6, 2021, the day when Congress met to count electoral votes and a group of former President Donald Trump‘s supporters attacked the U.S. Capitol. That option, he argued, had since passed.
Sitting behind Bopp as he addressed lawmakers was state Rep. Tim Ramthun, R-Campbellsport, the Republican lawmaker who has pushed a resolution calling for the decertification of the 2020 election. Ramthun has used the resolution to launch a campaign for governor.
Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, met last week with GOP activists who support Ramthun’s effort. Vos has rejected the idea, noting that it’s widely rejected among legal experts, including the Legislature’s own nonpartisan attorneys.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Former Justice Gableman suggested decertifying 2020 presidential election. His own attorney says it would be ‘pointless.’ was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
More about the 2020 General Election
- Report Calls For Criminally Charging State’s Fake Electors - Henry Redman - Dec 19th, 2022
- Vos Withdraws Subpoenas, Ends Gableman Probe - Henry Redman - Aug 30th, 2022
- Judge Blasts Gableman Probe, Deleted Records - Henry Redman - Aug 17th, 2022
- Vos Fires Gableman, Ends Election Probe - Shawn Johnson - Aug 14th, 2022
- Judge Orders Gableman To Pay $163,000 In Legal Fees - Rich Kremer - Aug 2nd, 2022
- Prosecute 2020 Fake Electors, Advocates Demand - Erik Gunn - Aug 1st, 2022
- Trump Calls For Nullification of Wisconsin’s 2020 Election - Henry Redman - Jul 12th, 2022
- Legal Fight Over Gableman Probe Keeps Growing - Shawn Johnson - Jun 30th, 2022
- Back In the News: Fake Elector Scheme Dogs Ron Johnson - Bruce Murphy - Jun 28th, 2022
- Judge Lifts Contempt Order for Speaker Vos - Rich Kremer - Jun 24th, 2022
Read more about 2020 General Election here