Medical Boards Encourage COVID-19 Vaccination
Chiropractic Examining Board differs from medical boards and just encourages colleagues to get vaccinated.
Anyone living in Wisconsin age 16 and older becomes eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine Monday. State regulatory boards for doctors and nurses are urging their colleagues and the public to get a shot.
However, the body overseeing chiropractors has hedged, encouraging those in the profession to get vaccinated but not telling the public — some of whom are their patients — what to do.
“We want to make sure the message is clear-cut that we support these vaccines, that we ourselves are getting these vaccines,” Dr. Sheldon Wasserman, chair of the Medical Examining Board, told WPR.
So far, 31 percent of people in Wisconsin have gotten at least one dose of the vaccine.
That includes health care workers in Wisconsin. While most have chosen to be vaccinated against COVID-19, some have declined.
The state doesn’t track who has been vaccinated by profession, but hospitals and other health care employers say between 60 and 90 percent of their staff are getting immunized, said Wisconsin Department of Health Services Deputy Secretary Julie Willems Van Dijk during a recent Milwaukee Press Club event.
Current law allows state health officials to require vaccinations during a public health emergency, but people can opt out for religious or conscience reasons. It also can’t be required under certain medical circumstances.
Vaccinations are not currently mandated by any state or local health agencies in Wisconsin.
State Regulators Overseeing Doctors, Nurses, Chiropractors Encourage COVID-19 Vaccination was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- President Larry Miller and Vice President Tony Báez Oppose Standardized Testing During the Pandemic - Milwaukee Board of School Directors - Apr 21st, 2021
- WI Daily: 626 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 21st, 2021
- New State COVID-19 Testing For Schools - Erik Gunn - Apr 21st, 2021
- WI Daily: 805 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 20th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Announces $50 Million to Support Kids’ Learning Opportunities, Mental Health - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 20th, 2021
- Ron Johnson Doubles Down on Toxic Vote Against American Rescue Plan, Tells WI Voters They Didn’t Deserve Direct Checks - Protect Our Care Wisconsin - Apr 20th, 2021
- Governor Evers, DHS Announce More Than $175 Million to Support COVID-19 Testing in Schools - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Apr 20th, 2021
- Senator Johnson Admits “Stand(ing) in the Way of Getting Checks to Everybody” - Opportunity Wisconsin - Apr 20th, 2021
- Robin Vos Must Stop Spreading Vaccine Doubts Online - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Apr 19th, 2021
- WI Daily: 373 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 19th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here