Hackers Steal $2.3 Million from State GOP
A "sophisticated phishing attack" stole from Trump reelection fund.
Party chairman Andrew Hitt said hackers used a “sophisticated phishing attack” to alter invoices from vendors the party has been using during the presidential campaign and to commit wire fraud. It discovered the attack late last week and immediately reported it to the FBI.
Phishing is when hackers send emails or other messages posing as legitimate companies, attempting to trick people into sharing personal information, like passwords or credit card numbers.
“While a large sum of money was stolen, our operation is running at full capacity with all the resources deployed to ensure President Donald J. Trump carries Wisconsin on November 3rd,” Hitt said in a prepared statement.
A spokesperson for the FBI didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
According to campaign finance reports filed earlier this month, the Republican Party of Wisconsin has trailed the Democratic Party of Wisconsin in fundraising this year. Republicans reported $6.5 million raised so far in 2020, while Democrats reported $18.4 million.
A spokesperson for the Democratic Party of Wisconsin said it has been targeted by “at least 800 phishing attempts this (election) cycle,” at least half of which tried to access money, but that none of the attempts were successful.
Wisconsin is still considered to be a crucial state in the 2020 presidential election. Recent polls continue to show a tight race and both Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden are scheduled to hold in-person campaign events in the state Friday.
Wisconsin GOP: Hackers Stole $2.3M From Trump Re-Election Fund was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Milwaukee County Recount Finished, Dane County Continuing - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 27th, 2020
- Counting Effectively Completed, Milwaukee County Recount Will Finish on Friday - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 25th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Recount Back on Schedule - George Christenson - Nov 25th, 2020
- Tempers Flare, Monty Python Crack Offered at Recount - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 25th, 2020
- Recount an Insult to Minority Voters? - Isiah Holmes - Nov 25th, 2020
- Trump Allies Sue To Throw Out Wisconsin Election - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 24th, 2020
- Early Recount Has Small Gain for Trump - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 24th, 2020
- Op Ed: Republican Slams Party for State Recount - James Wigderson - Nov 24th, 2020
- City Finds 386 Sealed Ballots In a Box - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 24th, 2020
- Trump Campaign Objects to Over 160,000 County Ballots - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 23rd, 2020
Read more about 2020 General Election here