Judge Blocks Release Of Business COVID-19 Data
Business lobby sued to stop state from releasing what businesses have COVID-19 cases.
The order comes in response to a lawsuit filed Thursday seeking to prevent the state from releasing that data by the state’s largest business group, Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce, in conjunction with chambers of commerce in Muskego and New Berlin.
“We have an obligation to the public to obey the law in that area,” Evers said, “and we will be releasing (that data) to the people in the media that have asked for that information in the very near future.”
According to WMC, the data could have been released as early as Friday. Their lawsuit was filed Thursday afternoon.
The lawsuit argues that revealing that information would violate the privacy of COVID-19 patients.
“The statutes make it clear that if you release the name of a patient’s employer, that allows for that patient to be identified,” said Ryan Walsh, WMC’s attorney. “That is a violation of that patient’s privacy rights.”
WMC also pointed out the potential harm to businesses, saying in the suit that the release of those businesses’ names “will falsely create the impression that the businesses at issue are somehow dangerous” even though some may not have had positive cases for months.
In a release about the lawsuit, WMC noted that Evers had previously said that information was private, and should be kept so.
“Nobody envies the governor, he has a lot on his plate,” said Walsh, “but unfortunately this particular issue has not been handled well.”
Evers said the information would be released directly to the people who have filed requests for it, not publicized on a dashboard like much of the state’s other information about COVID-19.
To Walsh, though, whether it was publicized by a dashboard or released to journalists was “a distinction without a difference.”
“Once information is in the public, it’s in the public,” he said.
Judge Blocks State Release Of Employer COVID-19 Data was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- FDA Approves Vaccine for Kids 12 to 15 - Graham Kilmer - May 10th, 2021
- Black Husky Hosting Vaccine Clinic - Graham Kilmer - May 10th, 2021
- WI Daily: 205 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 10th, 2021
- It’s time to re-open City Hall - Ald. Michael Murphy - May 10th, 2021
- Officials Push To Vaccinate Kids 12 to 15 - Shamane Mills - May 10th, 2021
- WI Daily: 308 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 9th, 2021
- WI Daily: 525 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 8th, 2021
- COVID-19 Testing Results Must Be Made Public - Erika Siemsen - May 7th, 2021
- WI Daily: 662 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 7th, 2021
- In New Interview, Ron Johnson Parrots Tucker Carlson’s Vaccine Lies - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - May 7th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here