UW-System Lays Off 40 Administrators
Because of COVID-19, the UW-System laid off 40 from UW-Shared Services Office.
In a memo sent to UW System Administration employees Thursday and obtained by WPR, Cross said the central office was announcing 40 employees within UW-Shared Services would be laid off. According to a UW System spokesperson, there were 206 employees in the organization, meaning about 19 percent of the workforce would be let go.
In his memo, Cross said his office was announcing difficult decisions.
Cross said he didn’t anticipate additional layoffs at this time.
In response to an interview request with Cross, UW System spokesperson Mark Pitsch replied that there was “nothing more to say” on the matter.
UW-Shared Services plays a central role in the “Blueprint for the University of Wisconsin System Beyond COVID-19,” a recent proposal issued by Cross outlining his vision for the UW System beyond the COVID-19 pandemic. In it, Cross recommended eliminating duplicate degree programs at campuses other than UW-Madison and UW-Milwaukee. He also called for centralizing campus administrative functions under UW-Shared Services.
In the proposal, Cross recommended the UW System Administration Office switch from “convener/collaborator/coordinator of this effort to the director and manager,” providing clear guidelines and mandates.
UW-Shared Services was created in July 2018 as part of Cross’ 2020FWD initiative, which seeks to address the state’s workforce and educational needs.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Wisconsin Public Radio is a service of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the Wisconsin Educational Communications Board.
UW System Administration Office Announces Dozens Of Layoffs Due To COVID-19 was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Testing Continues to Fall, Case Rate Continues to Climb - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 5th, 2020
- WI Daily: Wisconsin Reports Biggest One-Day COVID-19 Case Increase - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Beware of Contact Tracing Scams - Bridgit Bowden - Jul 4th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Spread Keeps Accelerating in Wisconsin - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Moves Backward In Fight Against COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- State Unemployment Insurance System Failing Many - Bram Sable-Smith - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Racial Disparities Found in Safer-At-Home Arrests - Edgar Mendez - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Johnson Discusses Small Business Recovery at Axios Virtual Event - U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson - Jul 3rd, 2020
- The City of Milwaukee Phase 4 Assessment Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 3rd, 2020
- WI Daily: 14-Day Positive Case Rate Continues Upward Climb - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here