UW-System Lays Off 40 Administrators
Because of COVID-19, the UW-System laid off 40 from UW-Shared Services Office.
In a memo sent to UW System Administration employees Thursday and obtained by WPR, Cross said the central office was announcing 40 employees within UW-Shared Services would be laid off. According to a UW System spokesperson, there were 206 employees in the organization, meaning about 19 percent of the workforce would be let go.
In his memo, Cross said his office was announcing difficult decisions.
Cross said he didn’t anticipate additional layoffs at this time.
In response to an interview request with Cross, UW System spokesperson Mark Pitsch replied that there was “nothing more to say” on the matter.
UW-Shared Services plays a central role in the “Blueprint for the University of Wisconsin System Beyond COVID-19,” a recent proposal issued by Cross outlining his vision for the UW System beyond the COVID-19 pandemic. In it, Cross recommended eliminating duplicate degree programs at campuses other than UW-Madison and UW-Milwaukee. He also called for centralizing campus administrative functions under UW-Shared Services.
In the proposal, Cross recommended the UW System Administration Office switch from “convener/collaborator/coordinator of this effort to the director and manager,” providing clear guidelines and mandates.
UW-Shared Services was created in July 2018 as part of Cross’ 2020FWD initiative, which seeks to address the state’s workforce and educational needs.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Wisconsin Public Radio is a service of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the Wisconsin Educational Communications Board.
UW System Administration Office Announces Dozens Of Layoffs Due To COVID-19 was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- State Creates 4 Community Vaccine Clinics - Megan Hart - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Vaccination Rate Increasing - Graham Kilmer - Feb 24th, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Emergency Powers Laws in Urgent Need of Reform - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 24th, 2021
- Souls to the Polls Urges Sen. Johnson to Vote ‘Yes’ on COVID-19 Relief Bill in the U.S. Senate - Souls to the Polls Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- WI Daily: 566 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 23rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff to Honor the More Than 6,300 Wisconsinites and 500,000 Americans Lost to COVID-19 - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 23rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 423 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Supervisor Goodwin Calls on Legislature and Governor Evers to Enact Wisconsin Stimulus Package - Sup. Shawn Rolland - Feb 22nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 403 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 21st, 2021
- WI Daily: 676 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 20th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here