Wisconsin Closes State Parks, Including Lakeshore in Milwaukee
Havenwoods State Forest on city's north side also closed.
Governor Tony Evers announced the closure of 40 state parks, forests and recreational areas Thursday morning. Two Milwaukee locations are included in the list of closures, Lakeshore State Park on the edge of downtown and Havenwoods State Forest near W. Silver Spring Dr. and N. Sherman Blvd.
In his release announcing the closures, Evers said the measure was “due to unprecedented crowds, litter, vandalism and out of an abundance of caution to protect public health and safety and help flatten the curve.”
“I wanted to keep state parks open for the public to enjoy during this challenging time which is why outdoor activity is listed as an essential activity under the Safer at Home order,” said Evers in a release announcing the closures. “Unfortunately, growing difficulty with ensuring social distancing compliance, dwindling cleaning supplies and mounting trash are some of the challenges faced by our state parks staff. We have to address the growing public health and safety concern and protect Wisconsinites.”
The closure goes into effect at the end of the day Thursday and continues until further notice.
“We know there are benefits to getting outdoors. By not doing this would put people’s lives at risk,” said Department of Natural Resources Secretary Preston Cole. “With the weather warming we are seeing increases in visitors and a myriad of challenges surrounding social distancing. In order to the protect the public, this is a necessary step.”
High profile state parks and forests, including Kettle Moraine State Forest, Bong Recreational Area and Devil’s Lake State Park are included.
Evers had previously waived all fees for state parks and trails.
Wisconsin has 56 state parks, including recreation areas, and 14 state forests.
Milwaukee County and the City of Milwaukee have closed playgrounds and other facilities at their parks, but the areas remain open.
A full list of the affected areas is available in Evers’ release.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- WI Daily: 689 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 27th, 2021
- HDA Statement on FDA Authorization of Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine - Healthcare Distribution Alliance - Feb 27th, 2021
- Gallagher Statement on Pelosi’s Payout - U.S. Rep Mike Gallagher - Feb 27th, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 Declining to Summer Levels - Graham Kilmer - Feb 26th, 2021
- State Launches Vaccine Provider Map - Graham Kilmer - Feb 26th, 2021
- WI Daily: 656 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 26th, 2021
- Supervisor Martin Calls on State Officials to Prioritize District 7 in Vaccination Effort - Sup. Felesia Martin - Feb 26th, 2021
- WI Daily: 840 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 25th, 2021
- Evers Signs Bill on Unemployment System - Laurel White - Feb 25th, 2021
- DHS Announces Groups Eligible for COVID-19 Vaccine on March 1 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Feb 25th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here