First City of Milwaukee COVID-19 Death Reported
Case is Milwaukee County's first death, third in the state.
The 66-year-old was a Milwaukee resident and had been hospitalized since March 16th. Underlying health conditions are believed to be a factor.
It marks the third Wisconsin death related to the coronavirus. The first death was a man in his 50s in Fond du Lac County. The second was a man in his 90s in Ozaukee County.
“Our hearts go out to all the loved ones affected by these deaths, and to all those suffering from this virus,” said Governor Tony Evers in a statement announcing the first two deaths. “We are committed to fighting the spread of COVID-19 in Wisconsin and I want to recognize the hard work and bravery of our nurses, doctors, state health officials, and all those on the front lines in the effort to save lives. Together we will get through this historic health challenge.”
The state reported 155 cases in 21 counties at its 2 p.m. update Thursday, continuing a trend of exponential daily growth. The number of counties impacted 50 percent. That number will continue to rise Friday when reported by the state, Rock County reported its first case Thursday afternoon.
As of Friday morning, Milwaukee County’s online tracker reported 88 cases of the virus in the county, including 63 in the city.
MCMEO investigating the death of a 66 year old male from complications of Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection. Decedent was a Milwaukee resident and had been hospitalized for several days prior to his death.
— Medical Examiner (@mkemedexamine) March 20, 2020
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- WI Daily: 840 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 25th, 2021
- Evers Signs Bill on Unemployment System - Laurel White - Feb 25th, 2021
- DHS Announces Groups Eligible for COVID-19 Vaccine on March 1 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Feb 25th, 2021
- Milwaukee Health Department Adjusts Testing Hours at American Family Field - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Feb 25th, 2021
- WI Daily: 747 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Creates 4 Community Vaccine Clinics - Megan Hart - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Vaccination Rate Increasing - Graham Kilmer - Feb 24th, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Emergency Powers Laws in Urgent Need of Reform - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 24th, 2021
- Souls to the Polls Urges Sen. Johnson to Vote ‘Yes’ on COVID-19 Relief Bill in the U.S. Senate - Souls to the Polls Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- WI Daily: 566 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 23rd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here