First City of Milwaukee COVID-19 Death Reported
Case is Milwaukee County's first death, third in the state.
The 66-year-old was a Milwaukee resident and had been hospitalized since March 16th. Underlying health conditions are believed to be a factor.
It marks the third Wisconsin death related to the coronavirus. The first death was a man in his 50s in Fond du Lac County. The second was a man in his 90s in Ozaukee County.
“Our hearts go out to all the loved ones affected by these deaths, and to all those suffering from this virus,” said Governor Tony Evers in a statement announcing the first two deaths. “We are committed to fighting the spread of COVID-19 in Wisconsin and I want to recognize the hard work and bravery of our nurses, doctors, state health officials, and all those on the front lines in the effort to save lives. Together we will get through this historic health challenge.”
The state reported 155 cases in 21 counties at its 2 p.m. update Thursday, continuing a trend of exponential daily growth. The number of counties impacted 50 percent. That number will continue to rise Friday when reported by the state, Rock County reported its first case Thursday afternoon.
As of Friday morning, Milwaukee County’s online tracker reported 88 cases of the virus in the county, including 63 in the city.
MCMEO investigating the death of a 66 year old male from complications of Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection. Decedent was a Milwaukee resident and had been hospitalized for several days prior to his death.
— Medical Examiner (@mkemedexamine) March 20, 2020
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- DHS Urges COVID-19 Vaccination for a Healthy School Year - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Aug 15th, 2022
- Milwaukee Health Department Begins Administering Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Aug 9th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Aug 5th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Still Rising in Milwaukee - Graham Kilmer - Jul 29th, 2022
- Public Awareness Campaign Seeks to Boost COVID-19 Vaccinations - PrincessSafiya Byers - Jul 28th, 2022
- Nearly Half of State Has High COVID-19 Level - Erik Gunn - Jul 24th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Level Increasing In Milwaukee - Graham Kilmer - Jul 22nd, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 22nd, 2022
- MKE County: Milwaukee County Has High Level of COVID-19 - Graham Kilmer - Jul 15th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 15th, 2022
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here