Renderings Released for Convention Center Expansion
District board releases final design of expanded Wisconsin Center.
We now know what expanded Wisconsin Center will look like.
The Wisconsin Center District released renderings Friday morning of the up to $425 million expansion that would double the amount of space in the 22-year-old convention center.
The final design would add 112,000 square feet of space to the exhibition hall, creating a 300,000-square-foot hall. A ballroom would be included in the expansion with a minimum of 30,000 square feet of space and a seating capacity of at least 2,000. A total of 24 meeting rooms would be added to the building.
The existing portion of the building that straddles W. Wells St. would get a new facade, intended to harmonize the 1998 portion’s derivative German style with the proposed glassy addition.
A waterfall, visible from the street, is planned for the northeast corner of the building.
“Other design elements include modernizing the existing facility’s interior, creating a cohesive feeling between the current and new facility; building new employee locker rooms, break, training, and briefing rooms; adding gender-neutral bathrooms, quiet rooms and nursing mother’s rooms; and creating outdoor patio spaces. The new facility will also include a centralized Visit Milwaukee Visitor Center,” said the district in a press release.
The design replaces conceptual renderings released in 2018. Neither batch of renderings has shown the N. 6th Street facade, which is currently where the loading docks and a winding ramp are located.
The board discussed the design and financing plan at its Friday morning meeting. We’ll have a full update later today.
For more details on the project, including the general contractor, financing plan and timeline, see our coverage linked below.
Newly Released Renderings
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
More about the Wisconsin Center expansion
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Wisconsin Center Faces 50% Revenue Cut - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 30th, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: City Could Get Cash From Convention Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 29th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Delays Convention Expansion? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 24th, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: Convention Center Expansion Paused - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 22nd, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: 11 Key Details About the Convention Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 8th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Renderings Released for Convention Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 6th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Wants $5 Million of Hotel Tax Per Year - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 3rd, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: UWM Gets Okay to Partially Demolish Columbia Hospital - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 1st, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Okays Convention Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 11th, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: Gilbane, CD Smith Will Build Wisconsin Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 12th, 2020
- Wisconsin Center District Announces Construction Manager for Wisconsin Center Expansion - Wisconsin Center District - Jan 10th, 2020
- Wisconsin Center District Announces Architectural Team for Wisconsin Center Expansion - Wisconsin Center District - Dec 19th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: River One Apartments Construction Starts in March - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 1st, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: New Apartments Near Streetcar Line - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 20th, 2019
- Convention Center Expansion Advances - Alana Watson - Aug 17th, 2019
- Wisconsin Center District Board Unanimously Passes Resolution Regarding Exposition Center Expansion - Wisconsin Center District - Aug 16th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: State Aids Convention Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 30th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: Convention Center Expansion Inches Forward - Graham Kilmer - May 20th, 2019
- Wisconsin Center District Updates Timeline for Completion of the Wisconsin Center - Wisconsin Center District - May 10th, 2019
- Evers Budget Overlooks Convention Center - Corri Hess - Mar 8th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: About That New Convention Center Plan - Graham Kilmer - Jun 17th, 2018
- Plenty of Horne: Downtown Power Brokers Mull Expanded Convention Center - Michael Horne - May 15th, 2014