Foxconn Goes Vertical in Mount Pleasant
Installing the first of more than 400 precast panels, weighing up to 75,000 pounds each.
Foxconn Technology Group began construction Monday on its long-awaited manufacturing plant in Racine County. It marks the beginning of what will be a nearly 1 million-square-foot plant the Taiwan-based company is calling its Gen 6 Fab building.
Foxconn’s plans have changed several times since announcing its intent to build flat screens in Wisconsin in 2017 with a 22 million-square-foot Gen 10 plant. Foxconn officials said market changes prompted the company to shift to a smaller Gen 6 facility.
This building is where smaller screens for cell phones and iPads will be manufactured. Originally, Foxconn planned to make television screens in Wisconsin.
Foxconn representatives could not be reached for comment but have said the facility would be operational by the end of 2020.
So far, only a single building on the campus has been completed — a 120,000-square-foot multi-purpose facility that opened in late 2018.
Last month, Gov. Tony Evers told CNBC he met with Foxconn and now has “clarity” on the project. Evers predicts Foxconn will hire 1,500 people in 2020. That’s compared to 1,800 under the plan the company laid out, which would eventually hire up to 13,000 workers in the state.
Foxconn representatives have repeatedly said they will meet hiring goals.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Foxconn Goes Vertical On Mount Pleasant Project was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Last Home in Foxconn Site Could Be Sold - Evan Casey - Jul 27th, 2022
- UW-Madison Hires Former Foxconn Executive - Rich Kremer - Apr 5th, 2022
- Nelson Calls on Congressional Oversight Committees to Pursue Information on Botched Foxconn-Oshkosh Defense Postal Deal - Tom Nelson - Mar 30th, 2022
- Foxconn Rebuffed Oshkosh Defense Bid to Build Mail Trucks? - Rich Kremer - Mar 28th, 2022
- Huge Foxconn Campus Remains A Puzzle - Denise Lockwood - Mar 28th, 2022
- Mount Pleasant Seeks Company for Foxconn Site - Bridgit Bowden - Mar 24th, 2022
- Rep. Bowen Statement on Foxconn Turning Its Back on Wisconsin Yet Again - State Rep. David Bowen - Mar 17th, 2022
- Back in the News: Foxconn In Talks for Saudi Arabian Plant - Bruce Murphy - Mar 16th, 2022
- Mt Pleasant Attorney Pushed Board to Extend Term Lengths - Corri Hess - Mar 9th, 2022
- As Foxconn Fails, Mt. Pleasant Board Extends Term Lengths - Corri Hess - Mar 1st, 2022
Read more about Foxconn Facility here