Foxconn Goes Vertical in Mount Pleasant
Installing the first of more than 400 precast panels, weighing up to 75,000 pounds each.
Foxconn Technology Group began construction Monday on its long-awaited manufacturing plant in Racine County. It marks the beginning of what will be a nearly 1 million-square-foot plant the Taiwan-based company is calling its Gen 6 Fab building.
Foxconn’s plans have changed several times since announcing its intent to build flat screens in Wisconsin in 2017 with a 22 million-square-foot Gen 10 plant. Foxconn officials said market changes prompted the company to shift to a smaller Gen 6 facility.
This building is where smaller screens for cell phones and iPads will be manufactured. Originally, Foxconn planned to make television screens in Wisconsin.
Foxconn representatives could not be reached for comment but have said the facility would be operational by the end of 2020.
So far, only a single building on the campus has been completed — a 120,000-square-foot multi-purpose facility that opened in late 2018.
Last month, Gov. Tony Evers told CNBC he met with Foxconn and now has “clarity” on the project. Evers predicts Foxconn will hire 1,500 people in 2020. That’s compared to 1,800 under the plan the company laid out, which would eventually hire up to 13,000 workers in the state.
Foxconn representatives have repeatedly said they will meet hiring goals.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Foxconn Goes Vertical On Mount Pleasant Project was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Foxconn Hosts Smart Manufacturing Web Conference, Launches iAI Institute - Foxconn Technology Group - Jul 10th, 2020
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
- Op Ed: Foxconn Facility Could Help in Pandemic - James Rowen - Mar 29th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here