Foxconn Goes Vertical in Mount Pleasant
Installing the first of more than 400 precast panels, weighing up to 75,000 pounds each.
Foxconn Technology Group began construction Monday on its long-awaited manufacturing plant in Racine County. It marks the beginning of what will be a nearly 1 million-square-foot plant the Taiwan-based company is calling its Gen 6 Fab building.
Foxconn’s plans have changed several times since announcing its intent to build flat screens in Wisconsin in 2017 with a 22 million-square-foot Gen 10 plant. Foxconn officials said market changes prompted the company to shift to a smaller Gen 6 facility.
This building is where smaller screens for cell phones and iPads will be manufactured. Originally, Foxconn planned to make television screens in Wisconsin.
Foxconn representatives could not be reached for comment but have said the facility would be operational by the end of 2020.
So far, only a single building on the campus has been completed — a 120,000-square-foot multi-purpose facility that opened in late 2018.
Last month, Gov. Tony Evers told CNBC he met with Foxconn and now has “clarity” on the project. Evers predicts Foxconn will hire 1,500 people in 2020. That’s compared to 1,800 under the plan the company laid out, which would eventually hire up to 13,000 workers in the state.
Foxconn representatives have repeatedly said they will meet hiring goals.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Foxconn Goes Vertical On Mount Pleasant Project was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Hintz Doubts Foxconn Electric Car Project - Corri Hess - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The Foxconn Real Estate Show - Bruce Murphy - Feb 25th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Local Costs for Foxconn Cut By 2% - Bruce Murphy - Feb 8th, 2021
- Foxconn Sued for Breach of Contract - Corri Hess - Feb 4th, 2021
- Vos and Wanggaard Continue to Gaslight Public on Foxconn Development - A Better Mt. Pleasant - Feb 3rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Robin Vos Will Solve Foxconn Fiasco - Bruce Murphy - Feb 2nd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: 9 Reasons a New Foxconn Contract Is Unlikely - Bruce Murphy - Dec 21st, 2020
- Audit Says Foxconn Loophole Needs a Fix - Corri Hess - Dec 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Residents Outraged by Foxconn Fiasco - Bruce Murphy - Dec 8th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Landing Google Contract? - Bruce Murphy - Nov 23rd, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here