45 Counties Want to Ban Gerrymandering
Buffalo, Fond du Lac and Iowa counties are latest to pass resolutions demanding non-partisan redistricting.
On April 16, three more counties joined in the growing consensus to ban gerrymandering in Wisconsin.
The county boards of Buffalo County, Fond du Lac County, and Iowa County all passed resolutions asking for the State Legislature to institute nonpartisan legislative and congressional redistricting in Wisconsin.
That makes 45 of 72 counties in support of ending gerrymandering in Wisconsin — 33 of which were counties that went for Trump in 2016.
These 45 counties represent at least 74 percent of the state’s population.
A recent Marquette Law School poll also showed that the vast majority of Wisconsinites – whatever their political affiliations – want nonpartisan redistricting.
It found that 72 percent of Wisconsinites want to ban gerrymandering in Wisconsin. And that includes 63 percent of Republicans and 76 percent of Independents.
Gov. Tony Evers has put money in his budget to have the Legislative Reference Bureau draw the maps in a nonpartisan manner after the 2020 Census. And at several of the Joint Finance Committee public hearings around the state, citizens have shown their support for the Evers plan. The next JFC hearing is at UW Green Bay, 2420 Nicolet Dr., Green Bay, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Republicans Lose Lawyers Before Redistricting Starts - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 29th, 2021
- Judge Prohibits Republicans Using Private Lawyers for Redistricting - Shawn Johnson - Apr 29th, 2021
- Op Ed: How Gerrymandered Are We? - Kevin Baas - Apr 29th, 2021
- Murphy’s Laws: The New Gerrymandering Scheme - Bruce Murphy - Apr 27th, 2021
- Evers Redistricting Panel Seeks ‘Partisan Fairness’ - Shawn Johnson - Apr 17th, 2021
- Law Forward’s “Redistricting 101” Provides Much-needed Overview of Critical but Complicated Process - Law Forward - Apr 15th, 2021
- Op Ed: Wisconsin Needs Fair Maps - Ruth Conniff - Apr 1st, 2021
- Your Right to Know: Redistricting Shouldn’t Be Done In Secret - Matthew DeFour - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Redistricting conversation continues on virtual “On the Issues,” Feb. 11 - Marquette University - Feb 10th, 2021
- Op Ed: Redistricting Should Consider Native Americans - Tehassi Hill - Feb 9th, 2021
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here