45 Counties Want to Ban Gerrymandering
Buffalo, Fond du Lac and Iowa counties are latest to pass resolutions demanding non-partisan redistricting.
On April 16, three more counties joined in the growing consensus to ban gerrymandering in Wisconsin.
The county boards of Buffalo County, Fond du Lac County, and Iowa County all passed resolutions asking for the State Legislature to institute nonpartisan legislative and congressional redistricting in Wisconsin.
That makes 45 of 72 counties in support of ending gerrymandering in Wisconsin — 33 of which were counties that went for Trump in 2016.
These 45 counties represent at least 74 percent of the state’s population.
A recent Marquette Law School poll also showed that the vast majority of Wisconsinites – whatever their political affiliations – want nonpartisan redistricting.
It found that 72 percent of Wisconsinites want to ban gerrymandering in Wisconsin. And that includes 63 percent of Republicans and 76 percent of Independents.
Gov. Tony Evers has put money in his budget to have the Legislative Reference Bureau draw the maps in a nonpartisan manner after the 2020 Census. And at several of the Joint Finance Committee public hearings around the state, citizens have shown their support for the Evers plan. The next JFC hearing is at UW Green Bay, 2420 Nicolet Dr., Green Bay, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Op Ed: Dear Wisconsin Supreme Court - Matt Rothschild - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Former lawmakers to go ‘On the Issues’ for virtual bipartisan conversation on redistricting, Oct. 13 - Marquette University - Oct 12th, 2020
- The State of Politics: GOP Once Bypassed Governor on Redistricting - Steven Walters - Oct 12th, 2020
- Eric Holder Meets With State Redistricting Commission - Shawn Johnson - Oct 3rd, 2020
- People’s Maps Commission Plans First Hearing - Melanie Conklin - Sep 29th, 2020
- Film Details Disenfranchisement in Wisconsin - Erik Gunn - Sep 24th, 2020
- Can Wisconsin Create Fair District Maps? - Melanie Conklin - Sep 11th, 2020
- Fair Elections Project Applauds Judicial Panel’s Selections for the People’s Maps Commission - Wisconsin Fair Elections Project - Sep 11th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces Judicial Panel’s Selections for the People’s Maps Commission - Gov. Tony Evers - Sep 10th, 2020
- 11 Wisconsin Counties Have a Redistricting Referendum on Nov. 3 Ballot - Wisconsin Fair Maps Coalition - Sep 9th, 2020
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here