Evers Wants to Renegotiate Foxconn Deal
Says 13,000 jobs "unrealistic," project is now much smaller, taxpayers must be protected.
Gov. Tony Evers said Wednesday that Wisconsin’s contract with manufacturing giant Foxconn Technology Group might need to be renegotiated.
Evers said it’s “unrealistic” to expect the company will still create a promised 13,000 jobs in the state in light of reports that it plans to change the products it manufactures at its planned southeastern Wisconsin plant.
“I think at this point in time that would be an unrealistic expectation, when they’re downsizing the footprint of what they’re doing,” he said.
Foxconn confirmed in February that it will build smaller-screen televisions at the plant. It was initially expected to manufacture large-panel displays.
Evers said the changes mean Wisconsin’s $4 billion deal with the company should be re-evaluated.
Republican leaders were quick to push back on the governor’s comments.
“This completes the original narrative that the governor has wanted to undermine the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation from day one,” said state Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, in a prepared statement. “If the state is willing to renege on its commitment to Foxconn and open up a contract without agreement by both parties, then what guarantee can Wisconsin make to any other company that wants to expand here?”
Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, called the existing contract “ironclad” and remained optimistic on job numbers, saying, “As Foxconn works to create 13,000 jobs in Wisconsin, I’m open to hearing if any flexibility is needed to achieve that goal, which I hope is the intent of Governor Evers.”
The governor’s comments came shortly after reports that Foxconn Chairman Terry Gou plans to run for president of Taiwan. Evers said he doesn’t expect Gou’s potential candidacy to affect the company’s work in Wisconsin.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Evers: Foxconn Contract Should Be Renegotiated, 13K Jobs ‘Unrealistic’ was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
- Op Ed: Foxconn Facility Could Help in Pandemic - James Rowen - Mar 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: The Foxconn Road to Ruin - James Rowen - Mar 9th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here