Senator Johnson Can’t Run From His Record of Failure on the Opioid Crisis
Senator Johnson can’t run from the truth.
MADISON — Senator Johnson wants to paper over his record on the opioid crisis. But Wisconsinites deserve to know the truth about his time in Washington. For five years, Johnson has stood in the way of critical funding to combat Wisconsin’s opioid epidemic. He sided with Republicans to protect tax breaks for multi-millionaires rather than spend more on substance abuse programs. Now he’s trying to cover up his record in an attempt to play politics with the opioid crisis.
But Senator Johnson can’t run from the truth. Here’s a look at his record
- He failed to support a budget that would have given Wisconsin $13 million in additional funding to combat drug abuse
- He voted against an amendment that would have secured an additional $4 million to help Wisconsinites struggling with addiction
- He voted against an amendment to provide $1.1 billion in funding to combat heroin and opioid addiction
- He callously suggested that sending addicts to prison was cheaper than treatment
- He admitted that some of his interest in the issue was driven by politics not principle
- His only proposals to combat the crisis have been to secure the border and start a “robust” public relations campaign
“In nearly six years in Washington, Senator Johnson has voted three times against bipartisan measures to provide much needed funding to help combat Wisconsin’s drug epidemic. He chose to protect tax breaks for multi-millionaires rather than fight for more resources for Wisconsinites struggling with addiction. Now, in his desperate attempt to stay in Washington he wants to cover up his record and play politics with the opioid crisis,” said Harry Hartfield, spokesman Democratic Party of Wisconsin.
Press Releases by Democratic Party of Wisconsin
Grothman has introduced an amendment to unfairly kick 26-year-olds off their parent's health care insurance.
"Not only is this proposal out of touch with the needs of everyday Wisconsinites, it does nothing to move our state forward."
"The bold ideas announced by legislative Democrats highlight our shared values and are exactly what our state needs right now."
"Speaker Ryan's bill will make everyday Americans pay more money for fewer benefits, and leave many of his fellow Wisconsinites without any health care at all."