Wisconsinites Paid over $36 Million in Taxes to Illinois on Cannabis Purchases
MADISON – A recent memo from the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau (LFB) found that $36.1 million of Illinois cannabis tax revenues in fiscal year 2022 were attributable to sales of cannabis made to Wisconsin residents. Senator Melissa Agard (D-Madison) introduced the first full legalization bill in Wisconsin history in 2013. Senate Democratic Leader Agard released the following statement on the LFB memo:
“Republicans’ continued refusal to legalize marijuana is fiscally irresponsible. Wisconsinites paid more than $31 million – just in taxes – to Illinois in 2022. Wisconsin’s loss of potential revenue is even larger if we include taxes paid to Michigan, as well as Minnesota in the near future. Wisconsin is losing out on significant tax dollars that could be used to make our communities stronger, safer, and healthier.
“We are an island of prohibition and the people of our state are hurting because of it. As seen in our neighboring states, legalizing marijuana for responsible adult usage will generate significant revenue for our mainstreets, safely regulate the existing illicit market, reinvest in our agriculture and farming heritage, support entrepreneurship, and address the massive and egregious racial disparities from marijuana prohibition.
“I fully support Governor Evers’ 2025-25 biennial budget proposal to fully legalize marijuana for responsible adult use, and if Republicans choose to remove it from the budget, I will once again introduce my bill to achieve this goal. It’s high time we get this done for the betterment of our state and the people living here.”
NOTE: This press release was submitted to Urban Milwaukee and was not written by an Urban Milwaukee writer. It has not been verified for its accuracy or completeness.
- Democrats Push Again to Legalize Marijuana - Erik Gunn - Sep 25th, 2023
- Senator Agard: Response to Speaker Vos’ Medical Marijuana Comments - State Sen. Melissa Agard, Senate Democratic Leader - Apr 20th, 2023
- State Residents Paid $36 Million in Illinois Marijuana Taxes in 2022 - Isiah Holmes - Mar 20th, 2023
- Wisconsinites Paid over $36 Million in Taxes to Illinois on Cannabis Purchases - State Sen. Melissa Agard, Senate Democratic Leader - Mar 16th, 2023
- Illinois, Michigan Gained $770 Million From Cannabis Taxes in 2022 - Katjusa Cisar - Mar 9th, 2023
- Half of State’s Adults Live Within 75 Minutes of Marijuana Dispensary - Hope Kirwan - Feb 15th, 2023
- Legislators Close to Agreeing on Medical Marijuana Bill - Rob Mentzer - Jan 9th, 2023
- Milwaukee Lawmakers Plan Another Go At Unifying Pot Possession Fines - Graham Kilmer - Dec 30th, 2022
- Senator Agard Applauds President Biden’s Bold Action on Marijuana Reform - State Sen. Melissa Agard, Senate Democratic Leader - Oct 6th, 2022
- MKE County: Supervisors Seek Marijuana Referendum - Graham Kilmer - Jul 5th, 2022
Read more about Legalizing of Marijuana here