Washington State Representative Offers Warning for Wisconsin on Foxconn
Without Safeguards, Wisconsin Schools and Main Street Businesses Will Pay for Scott Walker – Paul Ryan Recklessness for Generations
MADISON, Wis. — Today, Paul Ryan travels to Boeing Corporation in Washington to hold another in a series of scripted, invite-only meetings. Boeing is the recipient of massive state tax subsidies that have come under increasing scrutiny as they cut jobs but the state is unable to recover any lost revenue because of a lack of clawback measures.
Washington State Representative Noel Frame, a Democrat from Seattle offered a warning for Wisconsin, saying, “Boeing’s unaccountable tax break has been a disaster for Washington state. Instead of funding schools and creating jobs, we’re giving away billions of dollars while Boeing has laid off more than 13,000 Washingtonians. I hope Wisconsin won’t repeat our mistake by approving the Scott Walker-Paul Ryan Foxconn deal.”
In trying to justify this historic giveaway, Walker has pointed to tax breaks provided by Washington state to Boeing after the corporation threatened to move jobs out of the state. But the Boeing tax breaks are under increasing scrutiny as billions of dollars in state revenue are lost amid broken promises to keep jobs.
With no guarantees Wisconsin tax dollars will only go to support Wisconsin jobs, with unprecedented rollbacks of environmental protections, no protections for worker rights and with no specific clawback language if promised investments and job creation fail to materialize Wisconsin taxpayers are not being adequately protected.
One Wisconsin Now Executive Director Scot Ross said, “What’s happening in Washington state with Boeing is a warning for Wisconsin about Foxconn. If we don’t learn the lessons of other states and demand accountability as part of any deal with Foxconn it will be our public schools and Main Street businesses paying for Scott Walker’s desperation for generations.”
One Wisconsin Now is a statewide communications network specializing in effective earned media and online organizing to advance progressive leadership and values.
- State Reviewing Foxconn Jobs Report - Erik Gunn - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Foxconn Hosts Smart Manufacturing Web Conference, Launches iAI Institute - Foxconn Technology Group - Jul 10th, 2020
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by One Wisconsin Now
State Supreme Court Candidate Co-Authored Column Opposing Efforts to Clean Up Court Campaigns
Over $14,000 from Board Members of Right-Wing Legal Group to State Court Justice’s Campaign
Dan Kelly Supporters Want Court Action to Allow Enforcement of Abortion Ban Dating to 19th Century